Need help wiring clutch actuator

Runar Borgli

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Hi.
I have boat where I have a clutch that I want to operate with a switch on the dash.
Here is what I want it to do; (with 2 different actuators doing different things)
I want the actuator to extend when I flip the switch, I am thinking of using a timed relay so that I can just time the actuator and set it up so that it extends then stops. Then when I flip the switch back down I want the actuator to retract, with the same timer setup.
I am scratching my head with how to get it done.
OH, and to throw in a curveball, I want it setup so that when one actuator is extended the other cannot be retracted.

I have two engines connected to the same propshaft, so when the clutch is retracted(engaged) the second actuator cannot extend, when the second actuator is extended, the first(clutch) cannot be extended(disengaged). This is to prevent one of the engines from turning the other.

I'm sorry if this got complicated, I'm a terrible explainer

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
I have two engines connected to the same propshaft, so when the clutch is retracted(engaged) the second actuator cannot extend, when the second actuator is extended, the first(clutch) cannot be extended(disengaged). This is to prevent one of the engines from turning the other.
Your solution here is a method called interlocking. Do a google search for "electrical interlocking" and there are loads of examples.

Timed relays probably aren't your best bet as set points can move and relays can fail. You should really think about building a simple logic circuit that will start your actuator and using information from a sensor/limit switch, stop it once it has reached the end of it's required travel (set point). A micro controller would be most fitting to this sort of application and would take care of your interlocking issue too. Simple micro controllers can be had in kit form for not a lot of money and they're really easy to learn how to use. Most popular is the Arduino.

Hope this helps

TheButtonThief

Joined Feb 26, 2011
I had thought of a smart relay, but ££££££££££'s (or $$$$$$$$$$'s if you're not a Brit) more than a micro and some regular relays.

Kermit2

Joined Feb 5, 2010
With motorized mechanical systems, logic control should be backed up with a relay activated fail safe.
If logic fails, mechanical positions can be sensed with switches and any improper sequence stopped by an activation of the fail safe relay.

Runar Borgli

Joined Mar 2, 2016
Your solution here is a method called interlocking. Do a google search for "electrical interlocking" and there are loads of examples.

Timed relays probably aren't your best bet as set points can move and relays can fail. You should really think about building a simple logic circuit that will start your actuator and using information from a sensor/limit switch, stop it once it has reached the end of it's required travel (set point). A micro controller would be most fitting to this sort of application and would take care of your interlocking issue too. Simple micro controllers can be had in kit form for not a lot of money and they're really easy to learn how to use. Most popular is the Arduino.

Hope this helps
I'm guessing that going the arduino route will require a lot of programming? I'm not extremely got at that, I just started learning C++.
What does the arduino software "look" like? Would be great to have a simple if a=1 b must =0 for c to happen. Vice versa.

Thank you for taking the time to help out.