need help wiring an led strip !!!

johnny q

Joined Nov 24, 2010
hi guys - this is my first post here - I have a problem I'm sure you'll be able to help me with - I have a led strip stuck onto the back of my tv. I bought it from e-bay/Hong Kong. It came with a power supply, a controller and a remote. About a month ago, it started to not respond to the remote (it's not the battery in the remote). I figured the problem was with the controller, so I bought another one. When I got the new controller, I noticed that it looked the same as my old one, but my old one had a female plug, the new one has a male plug. So, then I figured I would cut the wires and put my old plug end onto the new controller by soldering and using heat shrink. They both have 4 conductors, but the wires are different colors. How do I determine which conductor connects with which ?

I'll post a few pictures on here as soon as I can figure out how to unload them from my new camera -

anyway, hope someone can make sense of this - thanks in advance -

johnny q

Joined Nov 24, 2010
I just attempted uploading a few pics of what I have - hopefully this works out ok - they show what the old and new plugs look like - I should also mention that sometimes when I wiggle the connection where the power supply plugs into the controller, it starts to work perfectly. I'm not totally sure, but it seems to me that the deal inside the controller that presses onto the outer part of the power supply plug isn't always making contact. I think I'm going to test the power supply also before I cut the old led plug off -

the white cable/plug end shown in the 3rd pic is the old controller - it is plugged into the led strip. you can see that the old controller has a female plug, the new one is in the 2nd pic, it has a male plug

Attachments

Last edited:

iONic

Joined Nov 16, 2007
If you got the LEDs to light the you know you have the polarity right, other wise they would not turn on at all. Does the brightness seem noticeably brighter or dimmer? And if the remote works and the LEDs com on then you seem to have it correct.