Need help wiring a Omron H3Y-2 for AC

Joined Nov 30, 2010
This one is a PIB because you didn't say how much, "some lighting" is and I can't find where the datasheet says which pins are for power and which are pilot duty.

Now, I have to go to my day job...at nearly 9 PM! :mad:
Good thing I get paid for that. :p

Steve Mayfield

Joined Jun 5, 2015
This one is a PIB because you didn't say how much, "some lighting" is and I can't find where the datasheet says which pins are for power and which are pilot duty.

Now, I have to go to my day job...at nearly 9 PM! :mad:
Good thing I get paid for that. :p
String lights for Christmas tress .. nothing major.

Have fun at work.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What is the complete part number? For example:
H3Y-2 AC200-230 0.5S will get you one of these. In the example the timing relay is a Power ON-delay also called a delay on make. Power is applied to the relay coil pins (13 & 14) and following a delay the relay energizes.

Based on your initial post:
I am trying to create a circuit that allows me to control some lighting so when someone presses a button, the 110v circuit switches on for 3 minutes, and then shuts off.
That sort of implies the type of timing relay you want is a 1-Shot or One Shot where a trigger (button press) immediately closes the contacts which remain closed for a preset time period. Things timeout and nothing happens till the button is pressed again. I am just not sure that what you have is what you want as to that Omron series of timer relays. This is the H3Y data sheet, note the timing actions shown on the bottom of page 4.

Ron

Steve Mayfield

Joined Jun 5, 2015
What is the complete part number? For example:
H3Y-2 AC200-230 0.5S will get you one of these. In the example the timing relay is a Power ON-delay also called a delay on make. Power is applied to the relay coil pins (13 & 14) and following a delay the relay energizes.

Based on your initial post:

That sort of implies the type of timing relay you want is a 1-Shot or One Shot where a trigger (button press) immediately closes the contacts which remain closed for a preset time period. Things timeout and nothing happens till the button is pressed again. I am just not sure that what you have is what you want as to that Omron series of timer relays. This is the H3Y data sheet, note the timing actions shown on the bottom of page 4.

Ron
It is a H3Y-2 60M AC110V

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
What you have is a delay on make timing relay. To actually final test this the relay timer has two small LED lamps visible o the front panel. Power the relay using the power pins. The PW (Power Indicator) LED should immediately illuminate and the relay's NC (Normally Closed) contacts will remain closed during the timing cycle. Following the timing cycle (Time Out) the UP (Time Up) indicator LED should illuminate and the relay's contacts should toggle. The relay will remain in that state till power is removed and then returned at which point the cycle of operation will repeat.

Timing relays, as I mentioned, come in a variety of "modes". Repeat where the relay is On/Off and repeats for pre determined cycles, 1-Shot where once triggered the relay is active for a pre determined time, DOB (Delay On Break) which is the reverse of delay on make, and other various interval modes.

This sounds to me like your relay is not the correct choice for the description of what you are looking to do. Momentary push a button and the relay immediately activates and remains activated for a prescribed period of time. Momentarily push a trigger button again and the process repeats. You want a One Shot or 1-Shot and they are available from a dozen or more manufacturers, Airtronics comes to mind as well as Omron.

Ron

Steve Mayfield

Joined Jun 5, 2015
What you have is a delay on make timing relay. To actually final test this the relay timer has two small LED lamps visible o the front panel. Power the relay using the power pins. The PW (Power Indicator) LED should immediately illuminate and the relay's NC (Normally Closed) contacts will remain closed during the timing cycle. Following the timing cycle (Time Out) the UP (Time Up) indicator LED should illuminate and the relay's contacts should toggle. The relay will remain in that state till power is removed and then returned at which point the cycle of operation will repeat.

Timing relays, as I mentioned, come in a variety of "modes". Repeat where the relay is On/Off and repeats for pre determined cycles, 1-Shot where once triggered the relay is active for a pre determined time, DOB (Delay On Break) which is the reverse of delay on make, and other various interval modes.

This sounds to me like your relay is not the correct choice for the description of what you are looking to do. Momentary push a button and the relay immediately activates and remains activated for a prescribed period of time. Momentarily push a trigger button again and the process repeats. You want a One Shot or 1-Shot and they are available from a dozen or more manufacturers, Airtronics comes to mind as well as Omron.

Ron
Would I be better off with an Omron H3CR-A8 ? I have a few of those as well.

Reloadron

Joined Jan 15, 2015
The Omron H3CR-A series from what I read are multi-mode:

H3CR-A/-AS/-A-301 H3CR-AP
A: ON-delay
B: Flicker OFF start
B2: Flicker ON start
C: Signal ON/OFF-delay
D: Signal OFF-delay
E: Interval
G: Signal ON/OFF-delay
J: One-shot

You would want J the one-shot version. You do not want a one-shot that triggers on power up but rather one that you can trigger remotely, as the case with your push button.

Ron