Need help wiring a DPDT switch

Black70

Joined May 2, 2011
Hello guys, I need help to figure out where to put wires to be able to reverse rotation of this motor. I already got the DPDT switch, I just need to know where to plug them. Maybe it's not even possible in my situation.

So this is my motor. Yellow and Black(high speed) would be in position C and D. Power from extension cord + and - going to E and F. Where I am suppose to plug the 4 wires to switch rotation? Those are the purple/white, orange/brown. If you reverse them, motor reverses. Really don't want to burn this motor by doing a mistake. Tks

Last edited:

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
From the looks of the data plate, the two wires that have quick connects in the middle are the ones that control direction. Tie the upper left terminal of your switch to the lower right terminal. Tie the upper right terminal to the lower left terminal. I can't read the color code of the wires with the quick disconnects, but the wires shown on the left of the drawing would go to the two center lugs of your switch and the other two will go to the two bottom lugs of your switch. Follow the color codes or you may let the magic smoke out of your motor. Also, be aware that the type motor you have is designed to have A LOT of air flow to cool it. I looks like a furnace fan , multi speed motor. Also, the switch you are using to reverse the motor WILL NOT TURN IT ON / OFF!

Black70

Joined May 2, 2011

Here's a better picture Bill.

Purple-----White
Brown-----Orange counter clockwise

Purple-----Orange
Brown-----White clockwise rotation

So if I wire it like this pic here. I do not know where to plug the Purple/white, brown/orange wires.

Which wires are you talking about on the left of the drawing?

BSomer

Joined Dec 28, 2011
This should be fairly simple. All you need to do is switch the purple/brown and orange/white wires. Everything else should stay the same. See attached diagram for reference. The purple and brown wires need to connect to the common on each side of your double pole double throw switch or relay.

Attachments

Black70

Joined May 2, 2011
I'm sorry guys, just re-read my whole post and forgot to mention a very important part. Been looking at this for too long I think :) I want to be able to change the rotation of the motor with my DPDT switch. I know I will have to wait for the motor to completely stop before changing rotation. My switch is a mom on-off- mom on. It's more of less to be able to move a target on a clothes line and be able to switch it from side to side with the DPDT. If what you guys are writing will do that.... sorry I will have to re-read your instruction attentively. :) Tks

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
What you need is a double-pole two-way center-off rocker switch, like what they use to raise and lower projector screens.

Black70

Joined May 2, 2011
Perfect #12, now the first switch looks like it's like the DPDT switch I got at this time. Will switch between the forward and reverse. Is the second switch a knob type with the 3 speed position? If it is, where do I plug the two wires going in the wall to my 120v? Also, what should be the amperage my switches should be if that motor is 6.4amps max? Tks

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
Post #12 is the best advice. You DO NOT want a center off switch for your direction switch. You may also want to have a 4 position switch for the speed with one position being OFF. Yellow wire of motor would tie to line Neutral. The other three lines would tie, through your speed switch, to the Hot side of line. Another option would be to get a 3PDT Center Off switch and have the third set of contacts be the On/Off switch.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
L1 and L2 represent the power lines. Yellow should go to the neutral of a 115 VAC power line. The first switch pretends to be the back of a DPDT switch. The second switch pretends to be the back of a SPDT switch. The switches should be rated as 1/3rd horsepower (or greater) if I am reading that fuzzy part of the photo correctly. The rules about switches include the idea that they have to be labeled in horsepower to run a motor. Basically what BillB said.

You can change speeds while running, but you can't reverse while running so the reverser should not be touched until the motor stops. You can use a switch with more positions if you want to switch all 3 speeds.

Black70

Joined May 2, 2011
Thank you very much guys. Will go and buy the switches I need to finish this project. Can't thank you enough. I owe you a beer. :)