Need help wiring 3 speed motor to mains

accucore12

Joined Mar 15, 2013
How do I connect this three speed motor directly to the electrical mains?

The second image is the capacitor connected to the red and brown shown in the first image.

There are 4 wires connected to the motor coloured white, yellow ,blue and black respectively. White wire has a high speed label. Yellow has a medium speed label and blue has a low speed label.

I have no knowledge about motors. Hope someone can enlighten me on the

(1)the type of motor that this is and

(2)how to connect it directly to the electrical main

AlbertHall

Joined Jun 4, 2014
It is an induction motor. The connections are probably (at your own risk!) black to one mains wire and then one of the white, yellow or blue to the other mains wire, which one is connected determines the speed. If you try this, be sure to use a fuse 2A max to limit the volume of the bang if the motor is faulty or my guess at the connections is wrong.

accucore12

Joined Mar 15, 2013
It is an induction motor. The connections are probably (at your own risk!) black to one mains wire and then one of the white, yellow or blue to the other mains wire, which one is connected determines the speed. If you try this, be sure to use a fuse 2A max to limit the volume of the bang if the motor is faulty or my guess at the connections is wrong.
Can someone confirm this?

Ramussons

Joined May 3, 2013
Maybe you can check the resistances between the 4 wires in a tabular form to be more sure...
------------------white-----yellow-----blue-----black
white-------------0----------x-----------x---------x
yellow ----------------------0-----------x---------x
blue -------------------------------------0---------x
black ----------------------------------------------0

From these v
values, one can be more sure.... (presuming that the same gauge wire is used for all windings.

debe

Joined Sep 21, 2010
It looks to me like a typical Airconditioner 3 speed fan motor. This is the circuit of my airconditioner Red, yellow & white in this circuit are swiched individualy for each speed & black is common.CIRCUIT..jpg

accucore12

Joined Mar 15, 2013
It looks to me like a typical Airconditioner 3 speed fan motor. This is the circuit of my airconditioner Red, yellow & white in this circuit are swiched individualy for each speed & black is common.View attachment 115576
The circuitry of the circuit board is not shown. Is there any circuit I can build from scratch to test it using my electrical mains 240v ac?

accucore12

Joined Mar 15, 2013
Maybe you can check the resistances between the 4 wires in a tabular form to be more sure...
------------------white-----yellow-----blue-----black
white-------------0----------x-----------x---------x
yellow ----------------------0-----------x---------x
blue -------------------------------------0---------x
black ----------------------------------------------0

From these v
values, one can be more sure.... (presuming that the same gauge wire is used for all windings.
I measured the resistance using a multimeter after the sparking occurred.

I kept one side of the multimeter probe to the black wire. The other probe give resistance values as follows(in ohms)
White. 19.5
Yellow 215
Blue too high to be measured (above the 2000k ohm limit of my multimeter)

The sparking occured when I connected the neautral of mains to the black wire and live of mains to to blue wire. Not sure if it might have affected the measurements.

accucore12

Joined Mar 15, 2013
Did it blow the fuse?
If not try one of the other speeds.
It would be good if you can include the series lamp bulb.
I used a 3A fuse and it seems to be still fine, continuity check still beeps across the fuse.
In there any thing I can use in place of the bulb?
I do not have a 100w bulb but I do have a lot of resistors and capacitors.

MaxHeadRoom

Joined Jul 18, 2013
This is the schematic from the manual of the fan which I salvage this motor from
Is there a chance it was salvaged for a reason?;)
Also those capacitors are known to fail, give the shaft a spin when you apply the power and see if it winds up.
Although it is a PSC motor so it will most likely need a good cap.
Max.

Last edited:

accucore12

Joined Mar 15, 2013
Is there a chance it was salvaged for a reason?;)
Also those capacitors are know to fail, give the shaft a spin when you apply the power and see if it winds up.
Although it is a PCM motor so it will most likely need a good cap.
Max.

Does polarity matters for motors? Is it possible that I connect the live and neutral connection in the opposite polarity?