Need Help Understanding Characteristic Curves of Transistor

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by engg_fahd, Feb 23, 2011.

1. engg_fahd

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Hello.I am having a problem in understanding the Collector Characteristic Curves of a transistor.[​IMG]
    In the figure above,why is Ib=0 till the cut-off Region?I have read my text book but I do not understand the relationship of Ib with this graph.Please help me out.Thank you

2. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    The graph says that, with no base current, the collector leakage current is about 5 or 6 mA.

engg_fahd likes this.
  3. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    You can imagine this as a 3-dimensional graph. A relation among base current, collector current and Vce. The blue lines are points that satisfy that location.

The red line is a load line and is part of another graph, the one that shows voltage and current of the load.

The equilibrium (Q) point is where all those quantities can coexist.

engg_fahd likes this.
  4. engg_fahd

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 23, 2011
    Why does saturation region increases as Ib increases?

5. Georacer

Nov 25, 2009
    I don't quite understand the phrase "the saturation region increases". Please elaborate a bit.

6. hobbyist

Distinguished Member

Aug 10, 2008
    Saturation as far as voltage is concerned, is when the collector voltage is less than the base voltage, and so now the VCB is forward biased rather than reversed biased.

So looking at the graph if you apply 120uA. of base current your going to have a lot of collector current as the graph shows, however if the voltage at the collector is small VCE around 1v. as shown then the base is more positive than the collector meaning the transistor is saturated, but if you bring the collector voltage VCE higher with that amount of base current, now the collector is getting into the region of making the VCB to be reversed biased as it should be to work as an amplifier.

So the larger the base current the more VCE needs to be to keep the transistor in its linear region of amplification, characteristics.

7. Ron H

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 14, 2005
    He's talking about where all the Ib curves converge to a single line. Hobbyist explained it pretty well.

8. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    What is the chief physical explanation for this effect? Voltage drops in extrinsic / ohmic resistances?