Need help to make a 10.2GHz into an 433MHz signal..

Discussion in 'Wireless & RF Design' started by FaO88, Feb 12, 2011.

1. FaO88

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 12, 2011
    Hey! I'm doing a project where I'm using a 10.2GHz signal to "wake up" a RF tranciever from sleep mode.. Now the problem is that my wake-up signal is a 10.2GHz, while the tranciever is at 433MHz..
    I've found an active oscillator that could help me, but the problem is the power usage.. 30-50 mA in non-active mode is simply to much... (I've got a rechargable clock-battery that should last atleast 8 hours, pref more..)
    So my question to you is; a) Could I use like a 23-24x passive frequenzy divider and, b) if so, how much would it cost, and c) is there any other way to deal with this problem that I haven't thought of yet?

Would love to get some help on this!
    Best regards,
    Jens K.

2. thatoneguy

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2009
    You could get the 433Mhz signal from an IF setup (Intermediate frequency, used in basically all radios).

The problem is that 10Ghz is an insanely high frequency (X Band), designing a receiver for those frequencies borders on what many would call black magic (waveguides instead of wires, microstrips, stuff like that).

3. FaO88

Feb 12, 2011
    Thanks alot! I will read through this thorough after I got some sleep! :D

And I totaly agree, that receiver will indeed become a challenge.. Was thinking about microstrips for a while, until I got the message that the chip is supposed to be about 2.5cm*2.5cm.. (about 1 inch * 1inch..) But that will be a challenge I'll have to handle later on, since it's my bachelor thesis, I guess I'm supposed to do some black magic :p

Thanks again for your help!

4. FaO88

Feb 12, 2011
    Ok, now I've been thinking a bit more about this.. How about I use a microcontroller in the middle, and make the 10.2Ghz signal into a pure DC voltage? Thinking maybe like a capacitor or diode?

( So new idea: Antenna -> (amplifier?) -> DC signal -> tranciecer => wake-up)

You think this could work?