Need help to ID equipment

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by timing727, Jan 4, 2011.

1. timing727

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Can anyone please help me to identify this piece of electrical equipment?
    It has two Triplett meters (DC Volts and DC Milliamperes) with a dial in the center (1-200) and six toggles with different colored lights (red, yellow, green) on the right. The rear panel is missing and probably had the nomenclature on it.
    Please view the pics.
    Any info would be greatly appreciated.

[​IMG]

2. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

Where are the pictures?

Bertus

3. timing727

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 4, 2011
    Retry on image post.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    It's a power supply. and maybe more, considering we can't see inside the chassis enclosure.

5. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    It appears to be a vintage 1940's or 50's tube amp power supply.

But it has been modified for another purpose.

Without the complete schematic of its new wiring configuration, any guesses at its function would be just that. A GUESS

Could be a power distribution arrangment, or a variable supply(Pot. on the front?)

Or a scalar wave generator which just needs a flux capacitor and a mad scientist to complete it

6. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    in the last picture of the string, there is [ what appears to be ] a socket for relays.......which leads to believe it is a tester for same, or at least in part.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    Yep, they look like relay sockets to someone who was still many years unborn when tubes were in command of all electronics.

Relays have kept the socket arrangement they shared with tubes, that arose from obvious convenience reasons, until this very day.

Expert

Nov 30, 2010
    Yay, Kermit. I used a connector like that to hook up a multiple door bell/phone ringer for a deaf person...35 years ago, and it wasn't a relay I was hooking up. It was...would you believe...an opto-isolator that I made with an Ne-2 light bulb, a CdS cell, and layers of silicone caulk in different colors.

9. BillB3857

Feb 28, 2009
    What is behind the dial? A pot or a variac? Also, the socket on the rear may also be used for connection to another cable like the others. The whole thing looks custom made. The black Cinch-Jones connector probably attached to whatever the box was controlling.

10. marshallf3

Jul 26, 2010
    Custom built no doubt but it looks like something a useful (and often dangerous) thing to have around. Try to reverse engineer a schematic from it and it should be apparent. You'll probably have to modify it to get something useful out of it.

Due to the design and everything else I've seen it was built by a ham radio enthusiast, probably puts out both filament and HV for test purposes but whoever built it did a pretty darn nice job.

I'd advise bringing it up gently on a variac as the main filter caps are probably in desperate need of reforming.

Reverse engineering to create a schematic is an art in itself but everyone should learn how to do that. It is, when you master how to do it, probably one of the most valuable pieces of knowledge you can attain if you spend any time around electronics.

11. PackratKing

Jul 13, 2008
    :confused:

Tube / relay sockets remain as some of the most useful project parts !! salvaging them is well worth the effort !

I " cut my teeth " on tube circuitry, & muddle along with ic chip tech,

knowing I will likely not acquire the skills of a Sgt. Wookie anytime soon -

tho' I have no intent to stop trying !! :D

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011