Need help selecting and LOCATING the best op-amp for guitar audio

jeghers

Joined Nov 14, 2008
All,

I am designing a 3-way guitar selector switch with gain controls for all 3 guitar inputs. It will use op-amp buffering and is meant to NOT affect or "color" the tone of the guitars in any way.

Here is my problem: I have identified what I *think* is a good candidate for a very high quality op-amp (OPA132). But I am not completely certain it is the best pick, and I am also having trouble finding it in a DIP package.

Most web pages discussing good audio op-amps are geared towards headphone amplifiers, which is not quite the same application as what I am doing. An op-amp well suited for that use might not be best for mine. I just don't know.

I am also bothered by the fact that the dual and quad packages have some diminished performance numbers, so I might be pressed towards using more single-unit 8-pin DIPs.

So my question is this: what is the best op-amp for low-distortion, no tone coloration, good low-power & (maybe) low-voltage performance, and overall stability? And also very important: WHERE CAN I GET IT IN A DIP PACKAGE??? The OPA product line seems to be only sold in SOIC packages now...

Thanks for any and all help,
/Mark

ps Here are my design goals:

- 3 guitars in, one low impedance output to a pedal/amp/whatever.
- Op amps allow high impedance guitar inputs so guitar tone is not adversely affected.
- The device is meant to NOT affect or "color" the tone of the guitars in any way.
- Each guitar input has a gain control (e.g. a volume knob) with a gain somewhere between 3 and 12 db (I've not decided how much yet).
- It will use non-popping (debounced) solid-state switching with CD4066 analog switches.