Need help reading schematic

naitek

Joined May 31, 2008
Hello everyone;

i am new to this stuff, but i would like to get some help understanding where the +V is coming from from a particular schematic.
in this schematic, i don't understand where the chassis ground is supposed to be neither the voltage coming in.

I also would like to know where in this schematic, is the voltage outgoing as well.
link here: http://zerofossilfuel.googlepages.com/324pwm_sche_with_current_limit.gif
any help would be greatly appreciated.

-naitek

Caveman

Joined Apr 15, 2008
The +V is an input voltage from some sort of power source. The +12V is also required. Ground comes in at the ground symbols which are all connected together. The intent of the circuit seems to be to drive pulses of current through the device labelled "cell".

BkkChris

Joined Jun 3, 2008
If cell is supposed to be a solar cell here then that would be your power source and V+ would be your output. The 7808 would be providing regulated power for the oscillator/comparator circuit which appears to be intended to switch the solar cell on/off in a fashion similar to a switching supply and hence reduce the voltage output of the solar cell. This could be used to reduce the output voltage but still maintain efficiency (not waste energy). I am suggesting this as it has a label about ZeroFossilFuel. If in fact that cell device is something else then I think the description above is right. It would seem that 12V input is a reference voltage, and hence probably needs to be provided from an external source, though I wonder at that since it's not too convenient depending on intent of use. The only thing I find odd is that generally switching circuits would have an inductor to store energy in and this one doesn't but perhaps that's not needed if intent is only to lower the output voltage. One might use such a circuit to provide 12V output from a solar cell that may actually generate 17V-20V (typically) and in a situation where your'e not charging a battery so don't want the high output voltage.

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Nope, the cell is an electrolysis cell. This is another create hydrogen gas and boost gas mileage scheme. The ZeroFossilFuel is the clue.

naitek

Joined May 31, 2008
Hey everyone.

i will attempt to add my 12V source to all inputs. All grounds should be going to pin 11 --> chassis ground then?

thanks

naitek

Joined May 31, 2008
Hey all again. I still don't get it!
Am i supposed to take my 12V power supply & connect it to all labels +V, +12, etc and connect all grounds to -V supply voltage. If so, then what am i getting as output voltage to the cell.

BTW. it is a HHO pulse width modulator taken from myers' design and adapted by ZeroFossilFuel.

it works dreams for my car so far, but i am trying to learn more on the electronics stuff.

thanks again to everyone for helping me out.

-naitek

thingmaker3

Joined May 16, 2005
Now I don't get it... it works dreams for your car, but you don't know how to hook it up? How was it hooked up when it was working dreams?:confused:

Nope, the cell is an electrolysis cell. This is another create hydrogen gas and boost gas mileage scheme. The ZeroFossilFuel is the clue.
You mean this? http://zerofossilfuel.googlepages.com/index.html I found it quite... um... entertaining. I especially like the part about "shorting one end together" on the three-ended 16 gage wire.:D

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
It would be more correct to say Pin 11 is connected to chassis ground. Chassis ground is a reference. It is also the negitive lead on the battery.

In the second post Caveman's responses should have answered everything else.

Last edited: