Need help purchase high watts led from goldmine

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by mrel, Aug 7, 2015.

1. mrel

Thread Starter Active Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Hello
    I connect this led to a 12 volts battery ,i put led mounted on heatsink.
    I notice less one second led get so hot that it melt solder off the wire that connect to led.
    I connect led direct to 12 volt battery since led is rated for 12 volt.
    So what am i do wrong?
    Included in this thread detailed description of the led , from goldmine.

Detailed Description

Super power LED type CL-L220-C16N-A by Citizen produces a typical luminous flux of 1150 lumens. This LED is seriously powerful. Produces a blinding cool white light that should not be viewed directly at close distances as it is just too bright to look at. Operates on 10.5V to 12.9VDC at up to 1.68Amp. Note this LED must be mounted to a heat sink and should be used with a current regulated supply. Overall size 1.1" X .7" X 0.035" thick. Actual active area about 0.55" square. Active area contains about 72 powerful tiny white LEDs. Brand new .

mrel

Last edited: Aug 7, 2015
  2. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Maybe you could learn something from this thread.

3. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    As Mike pointed out you need a current regulated supply (constant current) as they stated, not a voltage regulated supply (constant voltage) as you used.
    LEDs do not inherently limit there own operating current so if you connect a voltage source to them they can draw excess current and typically burn out (or melt the solder on the lead to the LED, as you found out).

(I'd be interesting to know how many LEDs have been zapped by newbies connecting them directly to voltage sources. :rolleyes:)

4. mrel

Jan 20, 2009
    Since MikeML & crutschow said need current regulated supply,do you know where i can find simple circuit that i can build for current regulated?
    I purchase two different kind led from goldmine one is cl-l 220-c16n and other
    Detailed Description

Powerful 10watt warm white LED requires 9V-12V forward voltage, 900mA forward current, and should be mounted to a heat sink for full output. LED output is 900-1000 Lumens, color temp is 3000K-3500K, and viewing angle is 120º.
    this does not say need current regulated supply ,look at the detelled description Do i need current regulated supply for this led too.
    Do all led need current regulated or just the high watt led.
    mrel

5. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    All LEDs should be operated with controlled current; the forward voltage drop is a function of the specific LED type, construction, temperature, and other factors.

Most lamps should be operated with controlled voltage; the current through the lamp is a function of specific lamp type, construction, temperature and other factors.

6. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    Did you follow the link I posted back in post #2?

7. mrel

Jan 20, 2009
    MikeML
    Saw your link you have a circuit transistor 2n3904 plus Irf z44m would this circuit work for 22.5 watt 12volt led ,if does work do i need change some parts to work with 22.5 watt 12 volts Led.
    Or would it be more simple just add series resistor to led around 10 ohm 5 watts.
    mrel

8. MikeML

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 2, 2009
    According to its data sheet, the CL-L220-C16N-A should be operated at a constant current of 1.44A, not 1.68A which is its absolute maximum rating just on the verge of blowing it up...

Frankly, for someone at your experience level, go buy a ready made LED constant-current power supply from a reputable supplier...

9. dl324

Distinguished Member

Mar 30, 2015
    You're not interpreting the specs correctly.

The forward voltage of CL-L220-C16N-A is 10.5-12.9V (typical is 11.8V), but that doesn't mean it's "rated for" direct connection to a 12V source.

You state you want to try a 10 ohm 5W resistor to limit current. It won't give you anywhere near 1.4A, but try it and see if brightness (and varying brightness as the battery discharges) are an issue. If it's too dim, as I expect, try smaller resistors. If the forward voltage for your LED is closer to the minimum, a 1 ohm resistor might be more suitable.

If you want constant brightness, you need a current source and a voltage higher than 12V. Take MikeML's advice and buy a constant current supply.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2015