Need HELP P.W.M

ddude

Joined Nov 18, 2013
Hello I'm new to this forum..

I'm in need of desperate help!

Posted is a schematic of a P.W.M circuit that is powered by a 12V DC PS.

As the pot. is turned from 0-50 the motor is supposed to spin CW, and 50-100% CCW.

This circuit is not working!

For the transistors, instead of the ones in the schematic i have replaced them with the NPN CB547B and the PNP C557B

Am I using the wrong transistors? Am I missing anything?

I am not allowed to use another 555 timer. I only have to use the H bridge format.

Attachments

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Here is your schematic...

You will need a inverter of some sort for one side of the H Bridge, and you have improperly biased Q7 and Q8. Voltage followers (common collector) do not invert.

This reads like homework or I would just give you a solution. Is it?

Bill's Blog

Pulse Width Modulation

Attachments

Last edited:

John P

Joined Oct 14, 2008
Here is one little hint. Current flows through a transistor in the direction of the arrows. Does it do that in all your transistors?

ddude

Joined Nov 18, 2013
Thank you for your replys, this circuit is for some personal use. Would the inverter go between the base's? and ill flip the transistors

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If you feed both sides of the H-Bridge with the same signals then the load between them will see no change. Yes, you need the inverter in front of one of the H-Bridge drivers. It can be a simple transistor, or another 555 wired as an inverter.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
If this is a serious circuit I could offer some other critiques and improvement ideas, but lets see what you do first.

What is the max current draw of the motor?

ddude

Joined Nov 18, 2013
Can you please show me how to wire it up? I have been trying, but no luck. the motor is a 6-15V small DC motor, im guessing it can take around 1A.

This circuit is just a hack job i did quickly to demonstrate to a friend of mine

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
1 Amp is a pretty hefty load. A small motor will use a lot less. Lets start with the 555 circuit. It is close, but it could use tweaking.

555 PWM Oscillator

The H bridge will take a bit more. Lets see what changes you would do first. If you have to hand draw a picture then take a digital photo, then use the "Go Advanced" feature on the site to post it.

Measure the current the motor draws, this is a needed parameter. Try loading it with your fingertips (if this is indeed a small motor) to get an idea of worst case current draw.

Remember, both side of the H bridge should look identical. Then add an inverter (such as a common emitter transistor) in front of one side.

Last edited:

Wendy

Joined Mar 24, 2008
Now you done it, I now have a new 555 article stuck in my head. Such projects take about a month to write and prototype, so don't wait for it.