Need help on replicating a circuit

tornado34

Joined Jul 11, 2011
I have a faulty wired remote control for a remote camera mount. It is a simple 4 way joypad (pressing on rubber dome switches on the board underneath).

It also has a variable speed control, a simple sliding resistor also on the board.

It is connected to the camera mount via a 7 pin din connector at the end of a meter of cable.

I have had this remote fail several times now and therefore decided to make a more robust version myself. So I bought a 4 way joystick (the type with 4 simple on/off micro switches - I don't need or use any diagonal control). I mirrored EXACTLY the circuit from the old remote, taking care to carry the common connection through all the switches in parallel and use the 'normally open' position on all switches, but I cannot get it to work.

I have walked through it a million times as it is so simple, but cannot see anything wrong.

The only thing I can see different is that when the old remote 'closed' the circuit with the rubber dome switch on to the board, my meter shows a very slight resistance, but on my new circuit there is no resistance at all, it's a clean flow.

Am I stupid to assume that I could replace rubber dome switches on circuit tracks for simple micro switches, or is the logic ok?

Any help please. I can photo what I have if it helps.

Cheers
Martin

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
What about the variable speed control - did you replicate its' resistance and connections using a potentiometer?

One item that's pretty much mandatory around here is a schematic diagram of your circuit; a schematic takes most of the guesswork out of the loop. Guesses confuse the issue and make the thread go on for many pages, while everyone gets frustrated.

tornado34

Joined Jul 11, 2011
Hi

Thanks for first reply. I actually used the original variable resistor from the PCB. I have also tested across this and confirmed, at the DIN plug, that this is giving a variable resistance.

As for diagram, I have tried really hard to draw one, I realise it is not to recognised standards, but I have done it as a layman :(

I have also tested and compared values, in many conditions (left, up, down etc etc) and with the exception of the slight resistance I mentioned, all appears the same as each other.

I hope this helps.

Attachments