need help on project please

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by keveners209, Feb 9, 2014.

1. keveners209

Thread Starter New Member

Feb 9, 2014
    :cool:lo./Hay guys im new here just looking for some help im starting a project and need major help, i have looked and looked and asked for help everywhere and nothing. what im trying to do is make a mechanism of some sort with a small AC motor, but do not know the first thing about any of this. so basically the AC motor needs to be programmable and able to move no more than 5bls but it needs to go forward and reverse in a fast motion kinda like a shake. it needs to be programmed to go faster in reverse than the forward motion. also i need this small and not bulky this is just a trial and error project so i do not want to put to much money into it. if anybody can help please i would appreciate it very much thank you.:cool: i have found this video and is just what im looking for but the price is 9x more than i want to spend, thay told me this cost 1000.00 each. so i was trying see if there is an alternative like with a stepper motor or maybe the raspberry pi im not sure just stuck. thanks again

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeL-8xXQkV8

2. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    If you explain what you are trying to do, you will get better results.

Will a counterweight on a shaft work?

Why faster one way?

What starts the cycle?

What controls the speed?

3. keveners209

Feb 9, 2014
    thank for responding, a counterweight on a shaft work? im not sure what that will do. i am all new to this so still learning, but what would control the shaft? the motion is like putting a full 5 gallon buck in the back of a truck by the tail gate, than stopping instantly the momentum will cause the bucket to slam in to the cab of the truck. or even the old trick by trying to pull the table cloth out from underneath the dishes without even moving them. just a on/off swich and same speed cycle till turned off.

4. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    I think that moving the tailgate and buck(et?) will take a lot more power than your first estimate of five lbs(bls?).:confused:

5. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    /me is not a fan of wall of text.

6. inwo

Nov 7, 2013

Need more details..................................

7. keveners209

Feb 9, 2014
  8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Why AC motor? any motor that is programmable usually means a servo of some kind, or at least a stepper, if this is point to point positioning, would pneumatics do it or air over oil system?
    Max.

9. keveners209

Feb 9, 2014
    well i like the concept of just plugging it in to the wall, i don't like replacing batteries. and going with pneumatic would mean i have to buy a air compressor rite? it needs to be programmed to go faster in reverse than the forward motion. i wish i could give a lot more info on this, i just dont know anything about this stuff. thank you for help me tho.

10. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Very hard to give qualified opinions with no details. :confused:
    Max.

keveners209 likes this.
  11. keveners209

Feb 9, 2014
    ok so what detail would you need i will try my best to do so

12. inwo

Nov 7, 2013
    How about just tell us what the heck you're trying to accomplish?:rolleyes:

Is that so hard?

For example:

"I need a 1/2" steel rod 12" long, to move back and forth about 30 times a minute. With a fixed stroke of 2".

The ends of rod must protrude from mechanism a minimum of 2" on one end and 3" on the other.

It must move twice as fast in one direction.

It will cycle continuously when activated by a toggle switch.

I will be using 1 AAA cell for power.

There is no load on the rod. It will sit in a shoe box on a table and make box walk across the table and fall off."

After running for 27 seconds it must tun itself off to save power.