Need help! Nucleo STM32F401 board. UART communication

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Cukrai, Sep 11, 2016.

1. Cukrai

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 9, 2013
    Hello, guys.

I really need your help! I just started working with Keil RTX RTOS. I have worked with 8 bit AVR microcontrollers before and I understood it pretty god I would say.. Now, I am lost with 32 bit microcontrollers and Keil RTX real time operation system.

the first project that I want to do is: Use UART to send "HELLO" to the terminal.

where should I start?
    how to I initialise uart?
    do I need any external hardware?

please help me!!
  2. dannyf

Sep 13, 2015
    generally it depends on how you want to do what you want to do.

Typically you start with the device datasheet, and then compiler manual that details what your development environment is.
  3. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Your best starting point is to attend a free workshop presented by ST. Go here to register.

Your second best bet is to go to web site and download their tools and examples.
    There are evaluation software from IAR and Keil. You will get example programs that will show you how to use the UART and many other things.

ST provides two development tools, CubeMX and HAL which will fast track software development.

If you cannot attend a workshop, at the very least, buy a STM32 Discovery board, (many to choose from) download all the software tools and seminar files. You can go through the workshop on your own at home.
    absf likes this.