Need help modifying my LED fixture

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by peakhunter, Sep 12, 2013.

1. peakhunter

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 12, 2013
    Let me start off by saying I am not very familiar with circuitry. I tried to seek advice through other venues but couldn't find someone with enough expertise to help. So I'm here, I would really appreciate it if someone on here can help point me in the right direction.
    I originally bought an 120w Epistar LED fixture. It has 28 cool white LEDs and 27 royal blue. They are 3w chips but are being run at 2w of power.
    here are some specs:
    LEDs 55pcs 3Watt high power Epistar chips Power Consumption 120 Watt LED Power (All) 110W Electric Current 550mA Input Voltage 85-265V/AC
    i want to change the driver for the white LEDs and replace it with a dimmable driver. the voltage meter said its about 132v for the string.
    i think this driver will work - Mean Well CLG 150-48A
    spec sheet: http://reefledlights.com/img/clg150.pdf

that driver is huge in comparison to the one in there right now so i dont think it will even fit in the fixture. so my question is would this driver work? could i use a smaller, cheaper driver? if so, which one?

thanks in advance for anyone who can help. sorry if im posting this in the wrong section

2. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    I don't think that one will work. It's voltage is to low. Did you measure 132 volts just across the white ones or across all of them? Are all the white ones in series, then all the blue ones so it would be easy to break apart (and measure)?

peakhunter likes this.
  3. peakhunter

Sep 12, 2013
    they are each in their own series and i measured 132 volts for just the white series. each set of LEDs has its own driver.
    i think ive found the driver on the manufacturers website but they wont contact me back. here is the link: http://www.welitpower.com/ledplant.html
    you have to use google translate and i think it is the 60w driver but im not sure. the one i have doesn't really look like the 60w one and looks to be smaller.
    heres a picture of mine with the cover off:
    [​IMG]

heres a picture of the fixture:
    [​IMG]

4. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Hmm. The numbers don't add up to well. Most white leds have a voltage drop of about 3 volts. That would say you should have measured about 84 volts. But anyway take a look at this one.
    http://www.trcelectronics.com/roal/power-supply-rsld070.shtml

You would need to add an adjustment potentiometer to it but not to hard.

Maybe you can measure the current as well?

peakhunter likes this.
  5. peakhunter

Sep 12, 2013
    i actually dont have the multimeter anymore. which model am i looking at getting?

6. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    peakhunter likes this.
  7. peakhunter

Sep 12, 2013
    Like I said I'm new to circuitry and stuff so the reading could very well be wrong. Thats just what I think I got. Would you say the reading should be higher or lower?
    thanks for all the help this far.

8. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    I would think it would be lower. Most white LEDs have a voltage drop of a little over 3 volts. Lets say 3.4. So 28 of them should have ~ 95 volts where you measured 132v.

peakhunter likes this.
  9. peakhunter

Sep 12, 2013
    alright i thought so too. i think im going to order the one you pointed out, i hope that works. i really appreciate your help as i would be stuck still without it (i've been trying to get this project going for about 6 months now). as for the potentiometer, i plan to just pick one of those up at radio shack. i shouldn't need anything else as far as you can see right?
    thanks

10. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Buy a cheap volt meter first. We would both be unhappy if it blew up your LEDs and you still had a driver you couldn't use to boot.

11. peakhunter

Sep 12, 2013
    ill see if i can borrow one. i already bought one, measured it, and brought it back a few months ago after i had to scrap the plan.