Need help modifying 555 output

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I suppose I should clarify what I meant then.

I'm not concerned with what happens after disconnect. I am concerned with the output attempting to send a signal to the lock actuator every time the sensor crosses the 5v threshold.
You already made that clear. I'm working on it. It's called a lock-out or a latch-out. That kind of circuit will only keep the circuit from sending a second pulse until you disconnect the power. After you disconnect the power, the circuit can't send a second pulse because it doesn't have any power.

duck36

Joined Apr 17, 2013
I see where the confusion is coming from now. When I say "lock actuator", I am referring to a physical locking mechanism to prevent opening something, not an electronic component.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I don't think I'm confused. You keep saying the same thing: Threshold = pulse, and stop. Refuse to start until power has been stopped and re-started.

Joined Nov 30, 2010
It's coming along. Feel free to put this in MS Paint and build an idea, tracecom.

Electric door locks sound pretty strong, so I'm going to give it a relay...right after I look at the datasheet and remind myself how a 555 works. How about you go see if you can find a single comparator?
I'm going to put a start-up delay on the reset pin so it doesn't get hinky when it gets plugged in.

Attachments

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
and about 40 milliseconds on the comparator input to make sure the threshold setting gets up to voltage before any noise can trigger the comparator.

Attachments

duck36

Joined Apr 17, 2013
I wish I knew how you can build diagrams like that from scratch. It's pretty impressive.

So, it looks like, so far, that this can be done with only a comparator and 555 (with various resistors and capacitors of course)?

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Thanks. I think pin6 (strobe) grounded (3ma) = open collector. True?
We could use that for a latch out. I'm using the 555 reset to guarantee no start up glitches, but we could also ground it to force out = low.

Trigger (2) has to be at 2/3 Vcc before the reset pin goes high. Calculating timing sequence...
Not calculating. Trigger is already 470 times as fast as the reset. I'll assume it works.

Last edited:

Joined Nov 30, 2010
Coming along. As it builds, I think the strobe is the right place to put the latch-out. What do you say, tracecom?
Can you find me an SCR with a hold current of less than 3ma?

Attachments

Joined Nov 30, 2010
I think this is about it, give or take some values.
I was asking if you personally know that grounding the strobe will force an open collector.
Oh...you think so. I guess we'll have to try this if we can get the right SCR.

Attachments

tracecom

Joined Apr 16, 2010
I think this is about it, give or take some values.
I was asking if you personally know that grounding the strobe will force an open collector.
Oh...you think so. I guess we'll have to try this if we can get the right SCR.
No, I don't know; will need to look at the datasheet.

Wow. Just noticed that this is my 2,000th post. Of course, that's nothing if you have over 5k.