Need help minimizing this SOP

Discussion in 'Homework Help' started by Shamieh, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Shamieh

Thread Starter Member

Oct 24, 2013
    I used a KMAP and got this as my expression

f = !y_{1}!y_{0} + !x_{1}x_{0}!y_{1} + x_{1}!y_{1} + x_{1}!y_{0} + x_{1}x_{0}y_{1}

Is there any way I can minimize this? Maybe I'm just not seeing it. I thought the whole point of a KMAP was to minimize the expression?

Some how the answer is this:  f = x_{1}x_{0} + !y_{1}!y_{0} + x_{1}!y_{0} + x_{0}!y_{1} + x_{1}!y_{1}

If anyone is interested I had to design a circuit with output f with 4 inputs. I'm supposed to be showing the simplest sum of product expression for f. My f row for my truth table was this:

Thanks in advance

2. Shamieh

Thread Starter Member

Oct 24, 2013
    Or perhaps my answer is equivalent to that? I'm just really confused, because I know for a FACT I did my K-MAP right.

3. shteii01

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 19, 2010
    I would like to see the information presented in complete and organized manner.

Starting with truth table.

4. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    We are not mind readers. Your list of output values is meaningless unless we know what combination of inputs corresponds to each row. I suppose we could just guess and work our way through all of the possibilities. After all, how bad can it be since there only a bit over 50 of them -- for every man, woman, and child on the planet!

On second thought, I think I will choose not to try to guess at what you meant. You can present your stuff in a clear and complete format if you want a reasonable chance at getting free help.