Need help making a USB programing cable for a Crane remote control

JWHassler

Joined Sep 25, 2013
The problem with the FTDI is that your loader-program likely will not talk to it.
If the interface were a simple serial-port, the program would be talking plain-old serial to it. However, it uses two of the modem-control lines (DTR and RTS.)
I don't know of any standard way of moving those lines around. A device-driver is probably required.

If the FTDI devices can use the Prolific drivers, someone will chime in soon

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
So even though both chips have the same identical pinouts, they communicate in sepperate ways? I wish it were as easy as just using a chip with the same pinouts but that would be to easy.

I was thinking about making up the whole circuit with the FTDI chip sense I have it and the pinouts are the same and see if I might get lucky. If it doesn't work then all I have to do is swap out the FTDI chip for the PLorofic. That is if I can find another source that sells genuine chips. I asked a number of sellers on eBay that claim to have the PL2303HX chip on the USB breakout they sell is genuine or not but they have no idea. Most don't even know about the clones out there. From what I read the only way to tell is if it throws a code 10 when trying to install the drivers.

Does anyone know if there are ways to tell the clone chips apart from the genuine ones? I know the FTDI clones have the info printed with ink as opposed to laser engraved on the real ones. Does this same thing go for the PLorofic clones by any chance?

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
I'm not aware the FT chip is programmable (unless by that you mean it has options which can be selected by voltages applied to certain pins) ?

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
The driver program wants to see a PL2303 , unless you wrote your own and can modify it for an FTDI or other device.

It looks like maybe your controller uses actual RS232 levels on Tx/Rx and the circuit shown is just a real cheapskate's USB-RS232 converter,
but with the RTSn/DTSn at TTL-levels (and RTSn inverted.) In that case, you could hack up an OTS converter with an HC14.

Here's some info on the various Prolific chips.
I was more or less talking about what JWHassler said here. I was wondering how to modify the FTDI driver program so it would communicate with my remote controller. I downloaded the driver for the FT232RL chip, but have no clue whats involved in modifying it. I was curious if it were something someone on the forum here that knew allot more about modifying the driver program could walk me though. I know nothing about this programing stuff. It still doesn't make sense why two USB converter chips with the same exact pinout and that do the same thing cant be swapped out one for the other. The manufacture is the only difference in my head. Just like replacing a capacitor or resistor with a different name brand. But I suppose there is allot more to this chip vs a cap or resistor. I am just trying to avoid having to find a reliable seller for the PL chip and then having to order it and wait another week or so.

Alec_t

Joined Sep 17, 2013
As I understand it (and I could well be wrong ;)), each USB-capable IC type has an assigned unique identifier which includes (amongst other things) a manufacturer ID. The driver software will check this ID, but its response may be proprietary. I don't see how you would modify the driver software without knowing its functionality. Hopefully there's some software expert out there who could advise. Perhaps worth a new thread?

diebog

Joined Mar 23, 2013
Ok thanks Alec, I was thinking of making a new thread as well. Just don't know how to ask the right question. Sense this is a one off type deal and no one has delt with it.