Need Help in UPS and Battery problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by hashipk, May 22, 2015.

  1. hashipk

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 22, 2015
    Hy EveryOne!
    I am new in this forum and just a ordinary person not a electrical student or proffesional.
    Situation is that i have 750 watt Desi UPS.
    just 10 days ago i buy a new battery which shopkeeper says Exide introduced a news battery with 220
    Now problem is that its never get full charge with my UPS i go to technician he asked to to change machine inside UPS and he installed a new system in UPS and a new button which have option to high volatge charging and low voltage charging.
    I also bring my battery to battery shopkeeper and he says buttery is totally fined and its only need recharge and he charging it and after he charge battery gage shown blue which indicate charging ok.
    Here you see gage showing blue which mean battery full now.

    Now UPS also showing battery is full with high volatge button.
    But another issue i am facing now is that the surface of battery get Wet.
    battery not got hot but surface got oily wet, when i clean it within in hour its get oily type wet on surface near to taps.
    Here if you zoom you will feel a wet surface which if i touch with hand its like oil.

    Kindly tell me is it dangrious to get wet surface of battery ?
    waiting for your reply
    please help me.
  2. dl324

    Distinguished Member

    Mar 30, 2015
    Was the original battery wet cell? My 1KWH UPS uses 2 12V SLA batteries...

    Having the surface of the battery wet may or may not cause problems. You don't want any of the moisture to get into the cells and you don't want it bridging the battery terminals. The source of the moisture should be your main concern. Is it electrolyte being expelled by the cells? That would be very bad...
  3. hashipk

    Thread Starter New Member

    May 22, 2015
    i am not electrical enginner or student if you will help me in simple language it will be work for me i will be thankful to you for that.
    And its just oil type wet on surface, while if i open cell tab the water is not boiling inside.
  4. alfacliff

    Well-Known Member

    Dec 13, 2013
    droop a little baking soda on the dampness, it will foam if it is electrolyte seeping.
  5. ian field

    Distinguished Member

    Oct 27, 2012
    On some occasions I've been known to hose down a dirty motorcycle battery - scrub with dishwashing detergent if the engine blew up and plastered everything with oil.

    Its any crud on the surface that dust can accumulate on that can cause tracking and leakage between the terminals, as long as you don't let it get really dirty, a wipe over with an absorbent dusting cloth is usually sufficient.

    Until you get this sorted out - the one thing you must do is make sure the battery isn't left standing around in a discharged state, if its left discharged the plates will grow a layer of crystaline lead sulphate. The least bad thing is you'll lose a chunk of the rated capacity - the sulphate could insulate the plates so charge current is impossible.