need help in starting a project

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
hello guys, i am trying to make a spy RC controlled helicopter for my project but i have a very low knowledge about motors etc than electronic equipments.so,here goes my problem i want to create my own helicopter for this purpose i want to know what kind of DC motor should i use to make a LIFT of the helicopter i mean required V and I and also type of motor.And yes i know you are thinking about weight of the helicopter for that i would say that the things that are to be kept in helicopter are the battery(may be button type or AAA size depending on motor),the Motor and a small mini spy camera.i really need to know what kind of motor to be used.so,please help me if you can.and this is my first project.:)

thank you.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
You should buy one of the $30us remote control helicopters. You can take the props and motors off the toy or add your camera to the toy.

here is one that will do what you want. It will lift 2 ounces.

http://www.thinkrc.com/3ch-syma-s030-bell-helicopter-p-665.html

If I remember correctly from my first heli, The speed of the motor stayed at 400 rpm. You use the pitch of the blade for lift. If you spin the blades to fast, it will never leave the ground.

Last edited:

indianhits

Joined Jul 25, 2009
thanks for the reply! but can you tell me the motor type that way i don't need to buy a full toy for this cause that would cost more cause i live in south asia

and do we actually need to run at 400RPM???and how much ounces did you apply??

and i have 3 of this type of motors(although i don't know the specs of this motor)(from toys which i used to play when i was young)

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
I can all but promise you, it will cost more to make than to buy. But if you want to build it, I can understand.

How motors work (edited): When you slow a motors speed by cutting current, you also cut torque. So you are going to want some sort of gear box or pulleys. I cant see any markings on the motor image you attached, so you are going to have to find some specs on it.

look at this model to see how they did the gearing. they hooked a big pulley to the prop shaft and offset the motor to the side. That allows the motor to keep maximum torque and spin the shaft at slower speeds.
http://www.thinkrc.com/syma-mosquito-3ch-mini-helicopter-p-35.html

That is going to be the type of design you are going to want to go for. TAIL ROTOR-LESS design. So you have 2 props spinning in opposite directions to counteract body-torque.
Also, balanceing out your design is inportant. Then the battery pack and servos for the controls. So, it can be done. but If you value your time at more than 50 cents an hour, it would be far better to buy and adapt then to "remake the wheel".