Need help in constructing PIC16F84A circuit on my project

saathis

Joined Dec 13, 2010
Dear friends,

Here im saathis from Malaysia, regards my final year project i have some doubt about the PIC16F84A microcontroller. Currently im studying final year in computer science which majoring in networking. So, i have select E-Smart Door Access System as my final year project title. This project based to image processing which use fingerprint reader to identify the user to acess the door. So, here i need implement PIC16F84A circuit to send the signal to the magnetic lock via relay after fingerprint matching process. So now my doubt is how i can implement PIC16F84A circuit and what are the equipments need in order to build PIC16F84A circuit board. Any one can show or answer my questions. Thank you!!!!

tyblu

Joined Nov 29, 2010
You may want to buy a development kit. You'll want the PICkit programmer, regardless. It comes in this kit, though it is the old version 2 -- PICkit 3 is now required. Maybe contact them and ask if the PICkit 3 is now included in that kit. Anyway, it comes with the kernel circuit and the chip you mentioned.

http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=DM163035

This is another board, but looks more expensive:
http://www.microchip.com/stellent/i...06&dDocName=en545425&redirects=F1EvalPlatform

This is the PICkit 3:
http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?Keywords=PG164130

If you can change families to the PIC18, you can get the PICkit 3 and PIC18F45K20:
http://www.microchipdirect.com/ProductSearch.aspx?keywords=DV164131

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
The PIC16F84A is an 8-bit processor, has only 1024 words of program memory, 68 bytes of data RAM, and 64 bytes of data EEProm.

I don't know how you think that you'll be able to process a fingerprint image with such a minuscule amount of computing power.

retched

Joined Dec 5, 2009
The PIC16F84A is an 8-bit processor, has only 1024 words of program memory, 68 bytes of data RAM, and 64 bytes of data EEProm.

I don't know how you think that you'll be able to process a fingerprint image with such a minuscule amount of computing power.
Maybe he is using a barbie dolls finger!?

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
1st, you may want to switch to a more modern PIC, such as a 16F88 or 16F627, they provide everything the 16F84 does, and more, such as internal clock, more RAM, etc. They are also cheaper than the 16F84 too since the old chip is being phased out slowly.

What is the output of the fingerprint reader? Unless you acquire a "fingerprint module", the project will be nearly impossible with a microcontroller alone.

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Maybe he has the finger scanner connected to a computer, doing all the processing, and just need the PIC to switch the relay...? Wouldn't the PIC handle that?

Would be awful nice to have a schematic, of some sort of layout...

Last edited:

saathis

Joined Dec 13, 2010
Thank you all of you senior members to reply my post. Actually im doing project based to image processing. The matching process will be done manually by admin from server. PIC16F84A where used to send the matching signal to the magnetic via relay. That is it......

nerdegutta

Joined Dec 15, 2009
Thank you all of you senior members to reply my post. Actually im doing project based to image processing. The matching process will be done manually by admin from server. PIC16F84A where used to send the matching signal to the magnetic via relay. That is it......
Manually?

Like, by humans?

One man/woman sitting and comparing images, and when match is found, the person is pushing a button, opening a door...?

I think you need to explain a little more, in detail...

thatoneguy

Joined Feb 19, 2009
When is this due?

If a PC is involved, and the only output is a lock, a few parts and a parallel port plugin on the PC would substitute for the PIC.