Need help in C, Programming for Z8

Discussion in 'Programmer's Corner' started by Nguyen204, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Nguyen204

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Hey, I am working on a school lab. Where I have to program prototypes.

void main(void);
    unsigned int pushed_button(void);
    unsigned int released_button(void);
    void button_pushed(void);
    void mydelay(unsigned int);

I am given this and I have to use the call function. Not sure where to go as I have no programming background. I've tried searching through the forum for more information, but came up with nothing. any thing will help as I am want to learn and understand what is happening.

thanks.

2. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    I don't know what you expect us to do. A schematic of the hardware might help. Take the function mydelay(5). What does the 5 represent? milliseconds seconds, minutes what?
    How is button_pushed() with no argument and no return value useful?

3. Nguyen204

Thread Starter New Member

Nov 19, 2014
    Sorry, didn't think it required schematic
    http://www.zilog.com/appnotes_downl...WdVkyOXlaUzlrWlhaMGIyOXNjeTkxYlRBeE5URXVjR1Jt

I am trying to have a 2ms delay, to wait for the bouncing effect to run its course.
    The purpose of this assignment is to count each time the push button is pressed and display the number of presses on the leds, in binary. So I want to debounce the pushbutton switch before registering a count. My program will call the button_pushed() function in order to detect button pushes.

Then I am provided with flow charts, that my code should be based off of.

4. Papabravo

Expert

Feb 24, 2006
    The schematic would be useful in case you need help on the details of initialization and reading the bits from the port pins.

So think of your program as implementing a sampled data system. The samples are 2 milliseconds apart. In order to detect a push or a release you need to have some number of identical samples. So you could use a byte to keep track of the last 8 samples. If the switch is open you record a 1, and if the switch is closed you record a zero. Let's say we want three consecutive 0's to define a push, and three consecutive 1's to define a release.

To maintain the samples you would take the byte shift it left by one position and ADD or OR the new sample into the least significant bit.
    So a push would look like 0b1111 1000, and a release would look like 0b000 0111.

There are many alternative ways to do it but this one has proved very flexible.