Need help in building a laser timer

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by kainotk, Jan 16, 2010.

1. kainotk

Thread Starter Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Hi all,
    I'm a math teacher teaching a digital electronics class, with minimal background in electronics. In our curriculum, we designed and bread-boarded asynchronous and synchronous counters. Currently, we are programming Boe-Bots to run through a simple maze. I want to incorporate the timers that we built into this Boe-Bots activity. My plan is to design a laser sensor timer to start and stop our timer circuit. I need help in buying the necessary hardware and overview of the hook up. My budget is about $75. Your help is very much appreciated.

KC

2. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Are you wanting to start and stop the timers in the boe-bots using a laser pointer?

hgmjr

3. kainotk

Thread Starter Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I want to time the Boe-Bot going around the maze.

4. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    So, as the boe-bots pass the start line, the timer is started. Then when the boe-bots pass the finish line the timer is stopped?

Each Boe bot has its own timer.

hgmjr

5. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
  6. retched

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 5, 2009
    Ther different height flags on the racers will trip the laser at that height allowing you to keep track of multiple racers. Give each student a set height for their bot and the system can differentiate between them.

Dollar store laser pointers and a few LSR's. Should be a cheap build!

7. kainotk

Thread Starter Member

Mar 31, 2009
    Exactly, something cheap and simple, thanks.

8. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Did I understand correctly from your initial post that each boe-bot has its own timer built into the boe-bot circuit itself? Or did you mean that the timers are built into some console that is fixed?

hgmjr

9. kainotk

Thread Starter Member

Mar 31, 2009
    I need help in the triggering mechanism.

10. hgmjr

Jan 28, 2005
    Did you take a look at the set up to which retched linked? It seems to address the basic needs of your application.

hgmjr