Need help in Aptitude Question

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
A train passes a station platform in 36 seconds and a man standing on the platform in 20 seconds. If the speed of the train is 54 km/hr, what is the length of the platform?

In this question train passes in 36sec that ok, what does this mean man standing in 20Sec?
Hint -- Observers are conventionally taken to be 'dimensionless' ;):)

J_Rod

Joined Nov 4, 2014
If it's just a practice test, it is good to attempt the problems and then check your solutions, which is what you're trying to do, right? This way, you can increase your knowledge for when you take the real test. For your first question, you should look up something called "simple interest." For your second and third problems, look at the units for distance (d), rate (r), and time (t) and find d = rt. For the fourth question, graph the numbers and then the average number as well as a horizontal line.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
@RRITESH KAKKAR

Hey! I have no desire to discourage genuine desire to learn --- so I offer the following inasmuch as I feel it will be useful only if you are willing to think.

Here's a utilitarian approach:

1) Find the sum of the lengths of train and platform
2) Assume the observer is dimensionless
3) Subtract the length of the train

I hope this sets you on the right path!:)

Bet regards
HP

PS -- Of course you may find the platform length sans assumption of a dimensionless observer -- 'tis merely 'tidier' this way:)

Last edited:

RRITESH KAKKAR

Joined Jun 29, 2010
i know how to calculate meters to km 5/18 and 18/5. (3600/1000)
no idea how to solve this.

A train passes a station platform in 36 seconds and a man standing on the platform in 20 seconds. If the speed of the train is 54 km/hr, what is the length of the platform?

Here's a utilitarian approach: what is Utililarian?

1) Find the sum of the lengths of train and platform
2) Assume the observer is dimensionless
3) Subtract the length of the train

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012

If a train is 500 meters long and is traveling 100 km/hour, how many seconds does it take it to pass a given point?

Can you figure that much out?

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Do you mean km/hr to m/s?
1 hour=3600 seconds
1 kilometer = 1000 meters
Hence 1 km/hr = 5/18 meters per second

Did you even look at post #49? --- I'm being just as patient as I can be with someone who shows no effort whatever! As I see it you're either 'trolling' or there's a language barrier at issue? - In the latter case I'm willing to help but I'll have to see some alacrity on your part... At very least I require you to respond to posts...K?

Best regards
HP

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
Even as jaded as I've become, I have a hard time believing that that wasn't a put on. But, I AM jaded enough not to bet money on that.
To my eyes the truly sad aspect of the video is the sight of her earnest efforts to 'think it through' but with an utter dearth of 'tools' -- Even if the video is a 'performance' there are plenty of real-life cases as bad and worse:rolleyes: --- How truly "a mind is a terrible thing to waste":(

Best regards
HP

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
Did you even look at post #49? --- I'm being just as patient as I can be with someone who shows no effort whatever! As I see it you're either 'trolling' or there's a language barrier at issue? - In the latter case I'm willing to help but I'll have to see some alacrity on your part... At very least I require you to respond to posts...K?
Amazing, isn't it, how long it takes someone that won't make any effort to make even the slightest bit of headway (which we still haven't seen) on a problem that is at the 8th grade level and can be solved, without a calculator even, in four lines of algebra and in less than one minute.

Perhaps if someone had paid attention in 8th grade or so, this wouldn't be such an endless struggle.

WBahn

Joined Mar 31, 2012
To my eyes the truly sad aspect of the video is the sight of her earnest efforts to 'think it through' but with an utter dearth of 'tools' -- Even if the video is a 'performance' there are plenty of real-life cases as bad and worse:rolleyes: --- How truly "a mind is a terrible thing to waste":(

Best regards
HP
If she was acting, she did a pretty good job. And, yep, I've seen plenty of real life cases that were about as bad and, on occasion, worse. Like the time I convinced a 16 year old girl that she was only 14. True story -- and I have witnesses.

Hypatia's Protege

Joined Mar 1, 2015
If she was acting, she did a pretty good job. And, yep, I've seen plenty of real life cases that were about as bad and, on occasion, worse. Like the time I convinced a 16 year old girl that she was only 14. True story -- and I have witnesses.
To have escaped 'kruschev's shoe' only to be buried by the rising generation{s} -- It's almost funny -- in a fatalistic sort of way...:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: