Need help in Aptitude Question

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
And you guy's think I'm dense! I think the whole reason for this line of topics and threads is to "up" his online presence. And the "ignorance" shown won't hurt him due to the fact so few will take the time to read the actual threads/posts. :(

And you guy's think I'm dense! I think the whole reason for this line of topics and threads is to "up" his online presence. And the "ignorance" shown won't hurt him due to the fact so few will take the time to read the actual threads/posts. :(
FWIW -- I feel he is genuine if a tad 'under motivated' --- Then too a language barrier seems to be at issue...:confused:

Best regards
HP

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
FWIW -- I feel he is genuine if a tad 'under motivated' ---
He's not "a tad 'under motivated'": he's lazy. And he has developed the lazy habit of constantly asking other people for answers-- to even the simplest of questions-- instead of forcing himself to think things through on his own. And by "helping" him, you are merely feeding this self-defeating habit and impeding his learning.

If you really want to help this guy, help him overcome the real problem by ignoring his incessant queries.

DerStrom8

Joined Feb 20, 2011
He's not "a tad 'under motivated'": he's lazy. And he has developed the lazy habit of constantly asking other people for answers-- to even the simplest of questions-- instead of forcing himself to think things through on his own. And by "helping" him, you are merely feeding this self-defeating habit and impeding his learning.

If you really want to help this guy, help him overcome the real problem by ignoring his incessant queries.
My thoughts EXACTLY! Just ignore him. You're not "helping" him by answering him. You're enabling his laziness and ineptitude.

And by "helping" him, you are merely feeding this self-defeating habit and impeding his learning.
He was recently banned at ETO, under the name 'koolguy', for exactly this same type of posting.
My thoughts EXACTLY! Just ignore him. You're not "helping" him by answering him. You're enabling his laziness and ineptitude.
Thanks for your input!

From some of his posts (i.e. material that he's 'attached' to same) it is clear that the solutions to exercises he presents here are available (somewhere) 'online' -- thus it seems he has some (albeit 'vestigial') interest in development of skill (else he'd merely use the published solutions)...

That said; your points are well taken! -- I shall alter my strategy such that assistance is offered in such a manner as to strongly encourage initiative on his part -- For example, among other changes, advancement of 'hints' will require not merely effort but conspicuous progress -- moreover, ongoing assistance will 'expect' retention and application of (previously garnered) skills...

To be clear -- I have no professional experience as an educator (per se) -- nor do I claim such expertise -- All of which is to say; If and when I make the proverbial "dog's dinner" of things -- Please let me hear about it!:)

Very best regards
HP

Last edited:
@RRITESH KAKKAR

In case your English language skills aren't 'up to' full comprehension of post #229 -- Here's the deal;

While I remain willing to assist you - I must insist upon genuine effort -- as evinced by progress -- on your part! Please understand - this has far less to do with 'my time' than with your education - which I have no desire to complicate!

Sincerely
HP:)

PS should any part of this message lie beyond your English skill level -- please don't hesitate to request clarification!:)

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
I shall alter my strategy such that assistance is offered in such a manner as to strongly encourage initiative on his part...
STOP!!!! Stop right there. Do you really want to encourage initiative on his part? Do you? If you do, then just STOP HELPING HIM!

I know you mean well, but the longer you (and others) continue to indulge his impulse toward leaning on others for help in completing even the simplest of tasks, the longer his needy, dependent "strategic helplessness" will persist. He is perfectly capable of figuring out these problems on his own-- he just doesn't want to make the effort.

STOP!!!! Stop right there. Do you really want to encourage initiative on his part? Do you? If you do, then just STOP HELPING HIM!

I know you mean well, but the longer you (and others) continue to indulge his impulse toward leaning on others for help in completing even the simplest of tasks, the longer his needy, dependent "strategic helplessness" will persist. He is perfectly capable of figuring out these problems on his own-- he just doesn't want to make the effort.
Believe me -- I've been 'thinking on this' and I see your point! -- Clearly, he seems to prefer receipt of affirmation to application, and, worse, is unwilling to progress!:rolleyes: -- Even so, I feel some level of 'intervention' may be helpful -- Upon reviewing this thread it is only too obvious that I've been 'handing out' way too much information (via 'hints') as well as failing to address his refusal to build upon previous experience:oops:

You may rest assured the 'Santa routine' is up (my avatar's 'millinery' notwithstanding;))

I realize I've earned a reputation as a 'soft touch' where lazy (albeit intelligent) students/participants are involved (while I have my 'reasons' - my rationalizations aren't the point) --- Stated plainly, I feel, based upon personal experience, that simply ignoring his requests would likely result in his 'tuning out' altogether:(

About all I can say at this point is that I think you'll be pleased (or, at very least, significantly less annoyed) by my future approach to this and similar matters!:)

With genuine gratitude for your forthright and informed insight!
HP

shortbus

Joined Sep 30, 2009
^But your his 'angel'^ :) Whats really weird about this whole thing, is a while ago (~1 or2 years ago), his signature line had a link to his learn electronics website. Where he was the "teacher".

@RRITESH KAKKAR

Here's the plan (as far as my offer of assistance is concerned)

I require that you 'work' each problem prior to requesting assistance. -- Please show all your work and, where applicable, rationale for each 'step' -- I may offer assistance where, in my opinion, you are genuinely 'stuck' following an honest effort! -- Be forewarned, however, that I'll be at least as 'hard to get along with' as a real instructor when I suspect 'slacking' -- and twice as suspicious of same!

Hopefully
HP

OBW0549

Joined Mar 2, 2015
Here's the plan (as far as my offer of assistance is concerned)

I require that you 'work' each problem prior to requesting assistance. -- Please show all your work and, where applicable, rationale for each 'step' -- I may offer assistance where, in my opinion, you are genuinely 'stuck' following an honest effort! -- Be forewarned, however, that I'll be at least as 'hard to get along with' as a real instructor when I suspect 'slacking' -- and twice as suspicious of same!
You are aware, are you not, that all of these questions he's been asking here are questions from an APTITUDE TEST he's taking? A test intended to measure HIS aptitude, not yours or anybody else's? Do you want that test to give meaningful results? Or are you perfectly happy with it being a completely pointless exercise? Because that is what it will be if you keep on "helping" him, in any fashion whatever. Please, JUST STOP.

You are aware, are you not, that all of these questions he's been asking here are questions from an APTITUDE TEST he's taking? A test intended to measure HIS aptitude, not yours or anybody else's? Do you want that test to give meaningful results? Or are you perfectly happy with it being a completely pointless exercise? Because that is what it will be if you keep on "helping" him, in any fashion whatever. Please, JUST STOP.
It was my understanding is that he is merely practicing for an aptitude test via exercises from a resource unrelated to his pending exam?:confused: -- In any event he has access to all the solutions and solution examples (as evinced by attachments to certain posts on this thread)

It is my stance that if he can honestly pass a test with different problems then his aptitude is genuine despite how, when and where he acquired his skill... --- On the other hand 'practicing responses' to questions he expects to be on the exam is clearly cheating and IMO worse inasmuch as such would imply abject insincerity on his part!:mad: That said, inasmuch as his 'resource' shows both the solutions and the method of same, I don't know what he'd need us for if cheating is his aim?:confused:

Thanks for the heads up! -- You have my word that I will clear this point up prior to proceeding - if I proceed! --- 'Lazy' is one thing - deceit is quite another!:mad:

Best regards
HP

Last edited:
@RRITESH KAKKAR

Assurance of integrity requires that you:

1) Advise us as to the source of your exercises and solutions.
2) Advise us as to the "when, where and by what organization" of your upcoming exam (such that we may verify that the question pool is either 'closed' or does not contain exercises discussed here).
3) Offer a general statement of your intent with your posts to this thread...

Inasmuch as others here are wiser in the ways of pedagogy (and, so it would seem, 'wily' students) than I -- I will await their 'take' on your responses prior deciding whether to proceed...

While I will gladly assist you with comprehension of today's posts -- I cannot, in good conscience, offer academic assistance prior to reaching a favorable consensus with other participants of this thread as regards your intent...

Sincerely
HP

Last edited: