Need help identifying some circuit board components

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by mike_crawford, Sep 17, 2010.

1. mike_crawford

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Are these two components diodes? I am looking to buy some new ones (rebuilding this circuit) but need an equivalent part name/# of some sort. The white one on the left has no markings, the one on the right appears to have bands similar to a resistor.
    Many thanks :)

[​IMG]

2. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    To me the left part appears to be a diode. If you look closely there is a band on one end and writing. The writing will tell you the part number.

The one on the left is not obvious, but it appears to be a capacitor, or a fuse. You will likely have to lift one end and take a measurement, ohms first, then capacitance if it is an open.

3. mike_crawford

Thread Starter New Member

Jan 21, 2010
    Tested the left 'white' component, strange as it has 0 Ohms, even when I reverse the +/- probes on my multimeter... acting as a a solid connection?? (it may be a fuse)

4. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    Or it could be an inductor, or a simple jumper (they make resistors that are 0 ohms for automated machinery during manufacturer). At this point I'm leaning more toward a coil or a fuse myself.

What is the circuit? Context might give us a clue.

mike_crawford likes this.
  5. windoze killa

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 23, 2006
    I would almost bet my left jewel that the one on the left is a fuse. They used to be used a lot on PC motherboards as keyboard fuses. I have had to replace heaps of them.

6. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    It measures zero ohms because it is a jumper. They are shaped that way so that automated insertion machines can put them in the board. The shape means they can be handled by any machine which can handle resistors of that size.

The diode next to it looks like a common 1N4148, but could another one just as well, that case style is common to hundreds of types. If you have a magnifying lens try to see some numbers on it. They will be printed in two rows (Like 41 on one line and 48 on another below it.) You will probably only get to see one of them, as the other will be facing the board.