Need help identifying mezzanine connector

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jclouter, Sep 25, 2013.

1. jclouter

Thread Starter New Member

Sep 25, 2013
    I'm trying to identify a specific board to board connector type for a project I'm working on. I'd like to create or find a ribbon that can extend the distance between these connection points as I need to place one of the boards slightly farther away (about 1 - 2cm). This connector is very very small! Here are some images and measurements that I obtained to the best of my ability. Any help or advice would be appreciated, thanks!

Pin width: 0.173mm
    Gap between pins: 0.213mm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mcgyvr

AAC Fanatic!

Oct 15, 2009
    check "samtec.com"
    what is "center of pin to center of pin" pin spacing? (commonly referred to as pitch)

and good luck finding a ribbon to bridge the gap..probably not gonna happen.

3. jclouter

Sep 25, 2013
    Thanks for the reply mcgyvr! I'll get back to you with the requested spacing shortly. If there's no such thing as a ribbon for this type of gap, is a rigid spacer/extender something that might exist? I'll look at samtec.com

4. jclouter

Sep 25, 2013
  5. RichardO

May 4, 2013
    Do you have a part number for this connector or its mate? If not, do you have any idea who makes it?

I have seen connectors like this in catalogs but have never used one. There seem to be a number of similar connectors from different manufacturers.

6. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    EDAC have them, they are called card edge connectors, the contact spacing is .156" (3.96mm).
    BTW 12.5mm is only 1/2"??
    Max.

7. jclouter

Sep 25, 2013
    Hello All and thank you for your help. Unfortunately there is no identifiable part number or manufacturer, so I don't have a 100% confirmed match. There's two that are prime candidates, one being the 0.4mm SlimStack by molex (see link) and the other Panasonic.

http://www.molex.com/webdocs/datasheets/pdf/en-us/5031085010_PCB_HEADERS.pdf

I'm hoping it's the molex as I'll be able to use a SlimStack compatible High Speed Flex Assembly as an extension ribbon. See link:

http://rhu103.sma-promail.com/SQLImages/kelmscott/Molex/PDF_Images/987650-2751.PDF

In any case the only way to find out for sure is to order some samples. I'll post my findings once I try them. Cheers and thanks for the help!