Need help identifying antique electronic part

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by cva2, Dec 8, 2014.

1. cva2

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 8, 2014
    Hi,
    I am very inexperienced in this field, but am trying to help my husband sell some very old electronic CB equipment he purchased years ago at a garage sale. We have one piece that so far has defied identification. I will try to post a picture here to see if anyone recognizes this item. Thanks so much for any help.

(I may have it upside down!)

2. wayneh

Expert

Sep 9, 2010
    Cool looking gizmo. I have no idea what it is. It appears to have mechanical elements in addition to that tube-looking thing.

3. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    its a radar t/r ( transmit/receive) switch.

#12, JohnInTX and GopherT like this.
  4. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
  5. ronv

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 12, 2008
    Way cool. :cool:

#12 likes this.
  6. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
  7. cva2

Dec 8, 2014
    I checked EBay and nothing listed there las radar transmit/switch looked anything like it.

8. cva2

Dec 8, 2014
    Wow -- thank you so much!! Now I wonder how much it sold for??

9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    I wish I could tell you my secret. But the truth is all the credit goes to alfacliff. He found it first. The rest is google.

10. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Ok, second verse, same as the first.
    alfacliff, I imagine you ran through a tube like this in your aerospace/military life in Kansas.

11. cva2

Dec 8, 2014
    Appreciate all the help! Thanks so much!

12. cva2

Dec 8, 2014
    Okay so now I'm "playing games" with Worthpoint (technical difficulties) so can't get to square one on what it might be worth??

13. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    The problem is, the number of people who might want one is very small. Of those people, the number who might actually log in and search ebay for one while yours is posted is even smaller. Finally, most of those "collectors" are looking for old parts offered for a few dollars.

The price on price point might be $5 or $10 and it might be $100. It all depends who was looking on any given day. In fact. It may be that nobody bids on it if you have a starting bid of $0.99

It is strictly a collect able and not a usable item so you never know. The only way to know is post it for some number and let the bidders decide how much it is worth.

14. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    actually I taught advanced microwave componants and systems in the Army.
    if you look inside, there are two pointed electrodes, they arc over when the radar transmits, shorting the waveguide to the reciever. if it had been a magnetron, there would have been keyhole slot resonators inside.

GopherT likes this.
  15. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    Nice. Do you have any idea when these switches were last used?
    Also, where there special handling techniques, one of the links above say that cobalt-60 was in them

16. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    there isnt much cobalt 60 inside, its used to pre ionise the gas inside, to let them fire sooner. a version is still used, its the simplest way to do it.

17. Dr.killjoy

Apr 28, 2013
    I think he was pointing out that she is trying to sell it and a couple item posted in the link had radioactive symbols on it ... My question is can she even send it threw the mail without getting in trouble for sending radioactive material through the post???

18. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    The half-life of cobalt-60 is 5.3 years. So after 50 years the radioactivity would be 1/1000 of the original activity.

19. cva2

Dec 8, 2014
    Again, I want to thank everyone so much for all the helpful information! I actually worked for Wavecom, a division of Loral Corp. back in the 80's, but only in the HR Department. (I think I recall they got in some hot water with our govt.) I know absolutely nothing about these components. Your suggestion to go ahead and list it is a good one. I am not trying to "get rich" here, just wanting to clear out a lot of "junk" before I "check out" (ha ha).

We also have some electron tubes that show some use and wonder if we should toss them or what? You all are so much more educated than we are so we are really grateful for your help.

20. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    Can you list the part numbers on the tubes it that is not too much trouble?