Need help finding compatible SC used for variable speed control of DC motor

jack6128

Joined Nov 22, 2012
Hi, I hope I'm posting this in the right forum. I have a Ryobi P230 impact driver that has lost its variable speed function. It only turns on and off. I suspected that a semiconductor had failed so I broke into the switch. I found a transistor-looking device (voltage regulator?) and remove it from the circuit. Sure enough, there was an intermittent short across two of the leads. I can replace it, but I can find absolutely no information on it. No site has a data sheet for it and no site has a compatible. I am hoping someone here can steer me toward a possible compatible component.

The failed transistor-looking device is made by Fairchild in what looks to be a TO220 package and has the following two designations on it:

N349AH
and below that is:
M0255507

Not even the Fairchild site has any info. I suspect that this component is pretty standard for this application. The battery that drives the motor is 18 volts. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Jack

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
A lot of tool manufacturers have component parts supplied with part numbers unique to them. It may be a standard part with a Ryobi part number just to keep you from making a repair. Have you tried to see if Ryobi has a repair part facility. May be the entire speed control is available from them. I own a Craftsman 19.2V drill and internal parts are not available for it, according to Sears.

jack6128

Joined Nov 22, 2012
Hi, Bill, and thanks

The switch assembly is available at about $50 delivered. A new impact driver costs $70. A cheap transistor of this type costs 3 or 4 bucks. It might be worth a roll of the dice if I knew what TYPE of transistor it was. The driver still works in the on/off mode, but the variable speed function is nice and I miss it.

Jack

BillB3857

Joined Feb 28, 2009
The info I just gave on my Craftsman drill is in error. I was going on info I got a couple of years ago during a telephone inquiry for the trigger assembly. I just found it on line from Sears Parts direct for about $35. Either Sears has added parts for the drill to their inventory, OR I talked with someone that didn't know how to find it. Your post made me look again. Thanks.