Need help designing my circuit

mattmers

Joined Oct 17, 2012
I'm working on a project and need a bit of help, I can solder but have never designed my own things.

Basically needs to do this:
first device (device A) needs a push button(on/off) , light blinks as a result then a wireless signal needs to be given off. Then a separate device (device B) needs to receive the signal, and turn a light on and have audio play once. If the device B is out of range then the light turns off. Kinda complicated, well atleast to me. Would I be able to build this from parts from radio shack? I don't care if the wireless signal is analog or digital.

Oh and if there are any unemployed electrical engineers with a good bit of experience shoot me a message :)

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
If the device B is out of range then the light turns off.
How will device B know a signal has been sent by device A, if it is out of range of device A? In other words, must device A send a continuous signal? If B is in the off state, and it is out of range, what will it do? Does B communicate with A to say it received the signal (i.e., is in range)?

Can you use infrared (IR) or must you use radio?

John

mattmers

Joined Oct 17, 2012
How will device B know a signal has been sent by device A, if it is out of range of device A? In other words, must device A send a continuous signal? If B is in the off state, and it is out of range, what will it do? Does B communicate with A to say it received the signal (i.e., is in range)?

Can you use infrared (IR) or must you use radio?

John
Device A should continuously send out signal after activation. Device B should always be searching for signal and should not do anything until it detects something.
I'd prefer radio because it has a bigger range.

MikeML

Joined Oct 2, 2009
You could use these types of modules,

I recently bought several. I am using the transmitter as is, but I added circuitry to do what I needed to the receiver module.

As I explained in my link, I would have the transmitter make transmissions on a fixed, periodic schedule. The "out of range" indication should be based on "receiver missed more than n expected transmissions", where n is a small number, like 3-5.

mattmers

Joined Oct 17, 2012
You could use these types of modules,

I recently bought several. I am using the transmitter as is, but I added circuitry to do what I needed to the receiver module.

As I explained in my link, I would have the transmitter make transmissions on a fixed, periodic schedule. The "out of range" indication should be based on "receiver missed more than n expected transmissions", where n is a small number, like 3-5.
I was kinda wanting to start from scratch as much as possible. Would I be able to add circuitry to the remote if need be? I don't care about size and for power I would be ok with battery or car power outlet. This is more of a proof of concept/prototype. Thanks for all your help so far guys :)