Need Help Designing Board!!

ElectricSupra

Joined Feb 19, 2010
Hi, my name is Martin and I need help! For my senior project, I'm building an electric scooter. I'm using an motor controller off another scooter, it's the same 24v 160w-250w controller at www.electricscooterparts.com. BUT, it cannot supply the 2HP(1500w) motor I using, with enough power. Rather than buying a new controller I was think I could just stack the FETs, but that seems too risky(the chip might fry). Now I'm going to make a High Amp FET bypass board like this one, (http://www.atomicmods.com/Products/V22-Regulated-Power-Board__10107.aspx). I will use it to bypass the battery power supply from the controller, directly to the motor. But I do not know anything about building boards. Does any body know how I would go about doing this. Here are the specs of what I need to create:

24v
62.5Amp or higher continuous running FETs
Three prong throttle input
24v battery input
24v motor output
Output back the the 160w-250w controller for the missing throttle and motor cable(do you think I will need this?)

Any ideas?

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
Welcome to the forums.

You might give us something more to work with. What are the specs on that motor (voltage/current)? One can get FET's into the hundreds of volts at very high currents, so your concern about frying them is perhaps not realistic.

ElectricSupra

Joined Feb 19, 2010
The motor is a 2HP(1500w) motor that I will run at 24v and 62.5amp (24v x 62.5amp =1500w). I will continuously run the motor around its top speed, in the 1000w-1500w range, and I don't want the FETs to fry. The FETs on the 24v 160-250w controllers will fry for sure, because they are not meant to run at 62.5amps continuously. And the board will not be able to handle 1500w, only 160w-250w. (This is why I need to make a bypass board to avoid these problems.) The problem isn't if the board can provide the motor with 1500w for a second without frying, but can it continuosly provide the motor with 1500w without frying.

I Hope this helps

jpanhalt

Joined Jan 18, 2008
The link to the V2.2 doesn't tell what its maximum current rating is; however, it does refer to using 18 awg wire. That seems small for your anticipated need of at least 63 amp, which may imply that the controller's rating is less. Note too, starting current will be a lot higher than the full load running current of the motor.

You will need to know the current rating for the V2.2 controller to answer your question with certainty.

John

beenthere

Joined Apr 20, 2004
That is only partial information. Amperes and volts are related, but are separate things. We need to know the voltage in volts, and the current in amps.