Need help converting temp to frequency

123troy

Joined Jun 25, 2013
Hello,

I am working on project that takes the body's temperature, but the output needs to be in the form of frequency.

I am looking at using a thermopile, LM358 op amp and a AD7740 voltage to frequency converter. Using the datasheet for the AD7740 and this link for the thermopile to LM358, http://www.instructables.com/id/Thermopile-Sensor/step3/Op-Amp/

I have created the schematic below, but I have some doubts if this will work. I have concerns in that the AD7740 needs a power in, so where does the battery get grounded? Also, Is there another temperature sensor that can be used to simplify this circuit?

I do apologize if I am asking redundant questions or if I am way off. I have been removed from electronics for the past 15 yrs or so and I am trying to get back in and reading everythnig that I can.

Attachments

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Where are the power and GND connections for the LM358? That would be a good place to connect the battery ground. Are you sure the LM358 will operate from a single supply at such a low voltage?

Oh..., and the LM358 and the voltage to frequency converter should also probably have the same ground.

Last edited:

123troy

Joined Jun 25, 2013
Sorry about that PH1, is actually the thermopile (I was not able to find a thermopile in Eagle). The thermopile produces millivolts. Is that enough to power the LM?

123troy

Joined Jun 25, 2013
Thanks for the help.

Trace, I looked at that but I am looking to design something using a 3 volt lithium button battery.

Taking Papa's help I tweaked my schematic to the following:

Thanks

Last edited:

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
You could try a MAX6577. It provides a frequency output based on temperature. Oh, wait a minute, it's not very accurate so it may not suit your purpose.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Sorry about that PH1, is actually the thermopile (I was not able to find a thermopile in Eagle). The thermopile produces millivolts. Is that enough to power the LM?
No. The LM358 needs at least a positive supply of at leas several volts. This is not the same thing as the input signal which is measured in milivolts. RTFDS! That means Read the ****ing Data Sheet.

OOOPS...I see you found the datasheet. OK then.