Need help boosting voltage

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by jellytot, Jul 16, 2014.

1. jellytot

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2014
    OK, so I have a device that runs off 1 Watt / 12Volts. I want it to run off batteries, so currently I have 9 AA batteries in series powering it. But I want the device to be portable, to use 2 AAs and using [something] to boost the voltage to the required 12 Volts. Not sure if this is important, but the device is a micro-solenoid used intermittently, a fraction of a second on and 10 seconds off (and repeat).

Requirements: The solution of something should be compact, breadboard-able (DIP or through-hole package like TO-220) and easy to implement (I'm a electronics newbie).

Options I've discovered so far:
    1) Get a DC-DC step-up switching regulator. I found 2 that may work, but they have 5 pins and I have no idea what to do with them.
    2) Use a linear regulator like 7805 and use Zener Diodes to boost the output voltage.
    3) Build a step-up convertor using inductors/capacitors/transistors. There are alot of examples out there but I don't know the math involved to get the desired output voltage from my input voltage.

I'm looking for a simple solution for my problem. Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks for reading this post!

2. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    A 12V boost switching regulator is what you want.

Just for your info, zener diodes don't boost voltage, they drop voltage.

How long is the solenoid on during each cycle and what battery life do you need?

3. Dodgydave

Distinguished Member

Jun 22, 2012
    A ready made one like these

4. alfacliff

Dec 13, 2013
    12 volt, 1 watt, running that much off a boost convertor and 2 double a batteries wont run very long. you will still need to get one watt out of 2 AA batteries, thats a bit much.

5. crutschow

Expert

Mar 14, 2008
    The OP stated it is a short duty-cycle, so it may be doable depending upon the exact value of the duty-cycle and a large capacitor across the batteries.

6. jellytot

Thread Starter Member

May 20, 2014
    Those are perfect! Unfortunately since they are shipping from China it will take forever for me to get them. So I tried "DC Boost Converter" on Ebay and found a similar module that I can get alot sooner.

Thanks everyone!