Need Help Basic Electronic.

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by rrrr4950, Dec 23, 2011.

1. rrrr4950

Thread Starter New Member

Dec 23, 2011
    Dear all

I'm taking a test with basic electronic. Unable to figure out this question. What is a shunt?..... 2 answer I remember 1. High resistance 2. Low Resistance and other 2 dont remember. Can someone help me explain what is a shunt mean.
    Thank you for your help greatly appreciated.

rrrr4950

2. Jotto

Apr 1, 2011
    high precision resistor with low resistance to measure current by a ammeter.

3. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
  4. GetDeviceInfo

Jun 7, 2009
    You'll have to refer to what your instruction has taught you, as that is the answer thier looking for. The term 'shunt' in electrical/electronics has a number of aspects that it can be applied to. To 'go around', or to 'drain away' could be 'shunting'. 'Shunts' in current measurement are typically shorting bars of very low, and more importantly 'known' resistance.

5. holnis

Nov 25, 2011
    A shunt..is a high precision resistor which can be used to measure the current flowing through a circuit.

Using Ohm's Law we know that the voltage dropped across a resistor divided by the resistance of that resistor is equal to the current, therefore if we measure the voltage across a shunt resistor in a circuit, we can easily calculate the current.