Need Help! Antenna location on this board

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
Hi all.

Can someone tell me where the antenna would be connected to.:confused:

And where i could add an extra wire lead to the trace.

To get a longer range for this transmitter.

I've gotten no information from the manufacturer on this.

I need to know where would the circuit board antenna
be located on this board.
There's a TX chip on the side of the battery hold.

Photo's Enclosed.

Attachments

Last edited:

LDC3

Joined Apr 27, 2013
I am guessing, but I would say that the loop on the board is your antenna. Unfortunately, unless you have the correct length of wire to extend the antenna, you end up losing signal strength since the antenna is no longer tuned to the frequency.

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
LDC3

but I would say that the loop on the board is your antenna
Which loop are you guessing at. Are talking about the round circle.If not where.Please point to it.

And the length of the wire would be the length of the loop.I'm assuming.

Anybody else on this site have any idea where the correct spot the antenna is

Last edited:

MrChips

Joined Oct 2, 2009
OMG!

Why would anyone build a gadget longer than it needs to be to hold a circuit board longer than it needs to be just because there is a copper trace that runs along the edge on both sides of the board that appears to do nothing?

What is the frequency of RF transmission?

This circuit was designed by an RF engineer who knew what he was doing. What makes you think you can increase the range with a better antenna?

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
Hi LDC3

So the loop in the first photo label L1 bottom part of board is not part of the antenna.
Or is it. It seems to be the same size.Do you think its connected to the loop L2.

Is the varaible pot a cap or coil.Connected to trace label L2.

Last edited:

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
MrChips

What makes you think you can increase the range with a better antenna?
Because I've done it a few times on other RF devices
before.

What is the frequency of RF transmission?
Don't Know.No Data on this item from Mfg.Could be 303Mhz-475Mhz.

It might be 2.4Ghz. Because of the short loop.But i doubt it.Just don't know.

They state it has a range of 450 Ft line of site. Not true.
More like 200 Ft.

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
Look for an FCC identification number on the case.

Thanks for that information. I should of look at the label on the back of the case. The working FQ for this unit is 433.92Mhz. So my assumption was correct on the FQ as i stated in post #7.

OK! So how do i measure for the correct antenna length. Any ideas.Or do i just use say 12'' wire 22G

Also where would i place the wire on the loop label L2.Do i need to cut the trace anywhere on the loop.

Somebody.

Last edited:

Etronic

Joined Oct 7, 2011
Originally Posted by KJ6EAD View Post
Look for an FCC identification number on the case.

Thanks! for that information. I should of look at the label on the back of the case. The working FQ for this unit is 433.92Mhz. So my assumption was correct on the FQ as i stated in post #7.

OK! So how do i measure for the correct antenna length. Any ideas.Or do i just use say 12'' wire 22G

Also where would i place the wire on the loop label L2. Do i need to cut the trace anywhere on the loop.

Somebody.

DickCappels

Joined Aug 21, 2008
If this is the circuit I think it is, the loop is tapped and power supplied at that point. If there is not already an inductor in series with the power supply, add one. I usually use 700 nh ferrite beads for that frequency range. Connect a small antenna to the point where the inductor connects to the loop.

Notice that Y1 is not installed, meaning that oscillation frequency is determined by the resonant frequency of the loop and the variable capacitor. If you modify the circuit, the transmitting frequency will shift.

Also, if you modify the circuit you will probably violate some law, depending upon where you are.

Last edited: