Need help about transformers

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
hello friends.. I have desoldered a transformer having two terminals in one side and four terminals in other side from a UPS of my system... I don know which is primary and secondary... I thought two terminal side must be primary so i connect the 230V,50 hz.. but all of sudden the fuse in my home gone... What is the problem in the transformer

eblc1388

Joined Nov 28, 2008
I thought two terminal side must be primary so i connect the 230V,50 hz..
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing and sometimes can really kill you. You only get one chance in life. :(

Get more information via the internet about transformers before messing with yours and others lives.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Dont do this kind of stuff its dangerous and what on the other hand you will damage a good transformer normaly we get a good quality transformer from UPS but they differs in working,so some tips on how you could verify your transformer if it is still ok
1)Look at the UPS circuit how it was working, normally the battary line with the driving section will be connected to one side, that is the primary for step up.
If thats doesnt work
2)Check the battary voltage of ups (it will be your refference volt)and apply that amount of voltage pulse to any side and check another side with a volt meter if you get a increased voltage thats means you are performing a step up else its step down

Good Luck

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
i want to make power supply so i need a transformer.. I thought i shall use this :( :(.. But i don know now how to find the rating of this transformer :confused: :confused: :(

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
i given a 12v supply via battery to the two terminal side of the transformer... No voltage is measured across this two terminal but the battery has 12.40V when the terminals removed.. I am confused i think this two terminals are shorted internally inside the transformer.. wats ur opinion

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
YA BERTUS I KNOW... NOW I GAVE 181 V, 50hz to two terminals of the four terminal side... on the other side the voltage induced is only 5V.... this seems it is not working properly whats ur suggestion?

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
sorry bertus i can not... but i taken the transformer frm UPS... One side has red and blue wire which is very thick in dia. On the other side four wires yellow,green,blue and black.. the two think terminal measures only 1.2 ohms... in the other side if i keep the black as common with respect to this all other three are measures 10 ohms

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Is there any brand or codes on the transformer?
What type of transformer is it, iron core or toroid ?

Bertus

bertus

Joined Apr 5, 2008
Hello,

Even with the provided codes I could not find any additional data.
Was the transformer used in the inverter part of the UPS?

Bertus

R!f@@

Joined Apr 2, 2009
u can use UPS transformers as a normal one most of the time.
I have used 3 of them in series to make a high powered one.
Show a pic then I can verify. The codes are useless most of the time.

VoodooMojo

Joined Nov 28, 2009
what is the brand and model# of the UPS?

do you still have the board the transformer was desoldered from?
trace the circuits out to see which is the input, and which is the output.

debjit625

Joined Apr 17, 2010
Ok guru200773 you didnt follow what I said ,that dont work with high voltage when you dont now anything about the component you are working with. 181VAC is quite dangerous, but then also its all well that the transformer worked with that but I dont understand that how do you get 181VAC its quite abnormal range ,offcourse we can make it ,Now about the transformer
1)
I GAVE 181 V, 50hz to two terminals of the four terminal side... on the other side the voltage induced is only 5V
Yes the transformer is working well,and from this you got to know that the low voltage side i.e less turns of coil winding (the side where you got 5V) and another is the high voltage side.
2)
One side has red and blue wire which is very thick in dia
This is the low voltage side where the voltage is less and current is greater thats the reason for bigger diameter of wire normally one of this wire will directly connected to battery.
3)
On the other side four wires yellow,green,blue and black
It seems that the black one is for netural (0V) and other three may be for three phase just use one of them .
4) How to know the rating for this transformer ,its not fully possible without openning the transformer coil winding.

Dont work with high voltage unless you are sure about what you are doing , keep a distance when test first time and apply a fuse in your circuit so the fuse of your house dont gets blown off

Good Luck

guru200773

Joined Apr 26, 2010
ya friend i too concluded that only.. but i am confused when it shows 5V... But i don know whats the use of this 5V.. by the by 181V is my main supply dude... Due to "fluctuation r if street lights are on r load to other homes are not distributed properly" the main voltage varies 160V to 250V will come in our main supply... when my multimeter reads it shows 181 so i mentioned thats all ok