Need help about a diy 2kw PWM true sine inverter I've found on the Net

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by gaetan8888, Nov 14, 2008.

1. gaetan8888

Thread Starter Active Member

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello

Here is a diy 2kw PWM true sine inverter I've found on the Net.

The only problem for me are the PIC16C84 MCU , I dont have any experiences or knowledges about those PIC and no hardware to program it.

I can see on this web page that he is using two ferroresonant transfos in parallel, that's ok since I have some big transfos here at home.

Here's the link;

http://www.technology.niagarac.on.ca/people/mcsele/i2k.htm

Anybody did seen or built that 2kw PWM sine wave inverter, any ideas or comments ?

Anybody could program a PIC16C84 MCU ?

The guy say that the code for the inverter was written for an OLD version of MPASM

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2008
  2. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
  3. gaetan8888

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello SgtWookie

There was problems with the message editor, it ad caracters to the link, I have corrected it in my post.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

4. SgtWookie

Expert

Jul 17, 2007
    Unless you have large piles of good batteries to play with along with an efficient way to charge them back up, a 2kW inverter is not a realistic goal.

P=EI - do the math.

5. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I am not sure it is a true sine wave generator:
    The author has several disclaimers and makes it quite clear that the design is old, parts are hard to find (e.g., the transformers), and function is not as good as it could be using a newer design.

All in all, it seems programming the 16F84 is the least of the problems.

John

6. gaetan8888

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello

I am french speaking so sometim I have a bit difficultis to fully understand a english text.

By reading slowly his text, it is not very clear if it is a real sine output but it is seem to be a kind of modify sine, unfortunately the guy do not show the ouput signal on a oscilloscope.

If it is not a real sine, I will not build it.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

7. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    I do not believe it is real sine wave. The author makes it clear that this was an early design and will not be updated. As I understand the discussion, he is describing improvements that could be made with a more modern approach to get a better approximation of a sine wave, but the current design does not incorporate those changes.

Your English is a lot better than my French. Good luck.

John

8. gaetan8888

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello

But I can use a wind generator, a regullator with batteries monitoring, and a batteries bank.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

9. gaetan8888

Nov 14, 2008
    Hello

A true-sinewave inverter cost too much for me.

I have a Xantrex XPower 1000 inverter.

This 1000 watt inverter do have a modified sinewave output.

Is it possible to filter the output voltage to bring it closer to a sine wave signal and have much less noise ?

And I did buy mosfets and diodes to double them in parallel on the inverter board, I will use a bigger heat-sink, so it may go a bit more than the 1000 watt or at least do less heat.

I include photos of the insides of my Xantrex inverter, with some parts numbers.

BTW, Xantrex do not reply to any parts request or technical question.

Thank

Bye

Gaetan

10. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 23, 2014