Need Help: 7 segment display based on input voltage

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by purduecrew, Oct 24, 2010.

1. purduecrew

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Hi,

Thanks for allowing me to join. I know my basics when it comes to electronics but when it comes to things such as this, I have to ask for help.

What I want to do is take a source voltage( 1-5v) in my case and basically make a 7 segment led display tell me the one digit voltage. So if I input one volt, i see "1". Input 2 volts, see "2" volts. Ive read about 4511's, analog to digital converters, etc. but I just can't link it all together. Any help would be great!!!

2. mbabayan

Jul 12, 2010
    I just implemented that with what is probably by far not the simplest solution, but a very flexible one.

I used Arduino (Pro Mini) microcontroller and it's ADC capabilities.

3. purduecrew

Thread Starter New Member

Oct 24, 2010
    Ah, that is still way over my head. Can anyone please give me some guidance?

4. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    The ICL7107 might be the way out. You can get a data sheet from the link - http://www.intersil.com/products/deviceinfo.asp?pn=ICL7107

Voltages are analog. Before you can display a voltage, it must be digitized. Using an IC like the one above is an alternative to using a microprocessor.

5. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    How about an LM3914, and diode-OR the output lines to appropriate segments in the display?

Ken

6. Markd77

Sep 7, 2009
    If you want a way to do it with very simple components (but lots of them) go here:
    http://www.falstad.com/circuit/index.html
    In the circuits menu - analog/digital - flash ADC
    and circuits - combinational logic - 7 segment decoder
    You would really understand how it all works if you made it like that.
    If you only want to go up to 5 you can cut a few components out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 24, 2010