Need GSM module, but don't know which to choose (For PIC MCU)

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by Tajiknomi, Nov 1, 2015.

1. Tajiknomi

Thread Starter Member

Mar 18, 2010
    I am working on security system project. I am need of GSM Module to connect to my PIC MCU. I haven't use any GSM modem yet so before ordering any model, i need some advice.

I have heard of SIM900/SIM900A/SIM900D & SIM900 mini. I don't know whats the difference in them & which one should i choose for my project ?

I just want GSM module to transfer SMS and call to number in some critical time, so i don't need any fancy modem to this, i just want a model to be of that specific.

I was just surfing in search of models and i kinda like the structure of SIM900 MINI .

P.S : Is there any Software simulator for AT-Command, so that i can work in virtual environment (not using physical modem) so that i can get my hands on AT-commands and its response.

Any advice will be appreciated.
  2. Jerun Hapuarachchi

Jun 7, 2015
    did u finish ur project?
  3. Picbuster

Dec 2, 2013
    I used the sim900BE ( this includes simcard holder)
    doing SMS ftp E-mail works perfect and is cheap.
    At commands are simple. ( sms 5 AT strings approx)
    My proto attached.
    Using pic18F8722 gps one e-mail plus one SMS per day.
    It is running 5 x AAA (2100mA/H) now for 13 months without recharge ( voltage now is 6.24V)
    Current usage in sleep mode: 55microAmps approx.
  4. jayanthd

Jul 4, 2015
    Buy GSM3 Click from mikroElektronika. It is a SIM800H. It think it also has FM.
  5. Nepenthes

Dec 18, 2015
    Great, thanks for the info guys.