need assistance on selection of PIC Module

Discussion in 'Embedded Systems and Microcontrollers' started by AlirezaAhmadi, Apr 26, 2014.

1. AlirezaAhmadi

Thread Starter New Member

Apr 26, 2014
    Hello

There is a project for opening/Closing four electric valves by a micro controller. I want to do this by a micro controller which instructs four relays. I think PIC may be the best choice for avoiding noise of these relays.

then I also want a small touch screen as HMI.

My question is about selecting the module and vendor for micro controller and lcd modules.
    I don't want to assemble the boards by myself. Project is not dealing with dangerous substances but by the way I don't want toy boards. I want a reputable vendor on whom I can rely for next projects. Any way cost of a micro controller board with 4 digital outputs must not be irrationally high.

Thanks un advance and best regards

2. t06afre

AAC Fanatic!

May 11, 2009
    AlirezaAhmadi likes this.
  3. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    In itself it sound a trivial project from a logic point of view, what other functions are to be included?
    You could also look at something such as a Smart Relay which is relabled by a few manufacturers, Idec, Siemens, Square D etc.
    The advantage is that the I/O is already conditioned, a display, timers and a calender and clock is included.
    Either way, I would design with DC solenoids which would include a BEMF suppression diode across the coil.
    What part of the world are you in?
    Max.

4. AlirezaAhmadi

Apr 26, 2014
    thanks t06afre

I had to write at biography in advance that I'm not a professional, but a a hobbyist, although this project is not a hobby.

I've heard that when you work with relays, due to their noise, it's better to use PIC rather than AVR or ARM, although I'm not in the position to verify this theory. What I see is that non of these Arduino modules use PIC. Do you think this will be OK?

On the other hand, Arduino has compatible LCD modules which is great.

5. AlirezaAhmadi

Apr 26, 2014
    MaxHeadRoom

Thanks for your answer. Yes this is trivial. Only timer is going to control these valves. But I want a touch LCD with beautiful menus to be available to end user. That's why I'm not selecting any kind of PLC. I'f I'm successful, I will define a calendar with daily schedule in HMI.

About this BEMF suppression Diod, it seems to be meant for reducing the nois after "Open Signal" eliminated. Do you mean connecting the solenoid directly to MCU output?

And about your last question, I live in Tehran, Iran. I hope political clashes don't interfere our communication here considering the fact that we don't have any financial transaction here.

6. AlirezaAhmadi

Apr 26, 2014
    And another question is that, whatever board I'm gonna use, do I need any kind of power supply/stabilizer module? or can I easily use an adapter like mobile ones?

7. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    Actually most of the advanced PLC's have the option of a touch HMI from Maple Systems, but this puts the cost up a bit.

I use DC solenoids because of the fact they tend be less prone to burn out if the armature for some reason does not transition over, or someone pushes it over manually when engaged.
    Regardless what energizes it, a diode should be used.

When I consider and judge my interaction with anyone on a personal level I prefer to ignore any the of the evils unfortunately imposed or created by "Human Tribalism" .;)

Ans: Yes you will need a regulated power supply of some kind for the processor and for such things as solenoids, the power supply can be unregulated.
    Max.

8. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    The 4 timers might be trivial but the "beautiful touch screen menus" are not.

This project might be 2% of your time coding the timers and 98% of your time coding the menus.

Really nice menus require getting an artist to create the menus as colour graphics, then you need to convert them to RGB565 colour as suitable for TFT colour screen, then format to some file format, and copy the files onto SD card, then your software needs file system (FAT) code to read the files from the SD card and display the menus in colour on the screen.

I've done all this and it is NOT a trivial task. :)

If your micro has large ROM capacity you can use a sfotware program to convert the colour menus from images to code (as very large const arrays of RGB565) then include them in your source code. That saves the need to read menu images from a card, but it is still a long way from being "trivial".

9. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    The Maple Systems HMI touch screens, when used, make it approachably trivial! ;)
    You can also integrate them using a PIC through the serial interface.
    http://www.maplesystems.com/
    Max.

THE_RB and AlirezaAhmadi like this.
  10. AlirezaAhmadi

Apr 26, 2014
    Thanks for the replies. I need some time to concentrate on maple. In fact I didn't mean that much beatiful that needs an artist for designing, but it should be a touch menue. That's because now a days every body is acquaintance with touch screen of smart phones and such UI inceases my chance to sell second one.
    By the way, about my main qustion I have received only one offer of using ARduino, which does't seem to be supporting PIC. may there be any other suggestion about reputable low cost boards?

11. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    To control the solenoids I would be looking at a Mosfet between the μp and the solenoids rather than relays.
    Max.

12. AlirezaAhmadi

Apr 26, 2014
    I thought it may be unethical/illegal in this forum to write about special brands, which is my question. If someone wants to suggest me something, Kindly send a private message to me.

13. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    In what way? Make/model/details are spelled out all the time?
    It usually applies to personal or ones own product advertising.
    Max.

14. THE_RB

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 11, 2008
    At a NON trivial price too, I bet.

Thanks for the link, they look interesting. :)

The OP did say; ""s about selecting the module and vendor for micro controller and lcd modules.
    ... Any way cost of a micro controller board with 4 digital outputs must not be irrationally high.""

You can make the project easy, pretty, or cheap. Pick two. ;)