Need advice about USB Chargers and wiring

gormly

Joined Jan 7, 2012
I have a need to basically daisy chain 6 USB Charger cords in a custom box

I have a USB Charger wall plug:
Input 5V
Output 4.2v 500mA

A cable with a special end tip plugs into this wall plug and charges an electronic cigarette that matches this voltage. I want to build a small box with just the special end tips wired to a power supply (6 end tips in a small box with one cord to the wall).

I do not know much about electronics but I am not a simpleton either.
I can solder and figure things out mostly.

What I need to figure out is how to go about this. I can strip the special ends off of the cables leaving the pos/neg and then wire them, cut holes for them in the top of the box and glue, but not sure what I should wire them to inside the box.

1. Could I simply wire them to a lamp cord? (I know this isn't right or safe)
2. Should I disassemble 6 of the wall chargers and wire each one individually to the special end and then all to a lamp cord? (I know this isn't right or safe)
2. Should I disassemble 6 of the wall chargers and wire each one individually to the special end and then all to a disassembled 6 outlet power strip?
4. Is this a stupid idea?

I have seen these out there so I know it's possible, I just don't know enough about power to make it workable.

:confused:

wayneh

Joined Sep 9, 2010
4. Is this a stupid idea?
Very! , until you get a much better idea of what is needed. We need more details.

As I understand it, you'd like to power up to 6 loads (your e-ciggy butts) simultaneously from your custom box. Is that right?

One charger may not be capable of that. You need to find out the load requirements for each device, eg. it might be something like 200mA at 4.2v. Your charger is rated to 500mA but it would not be wise to plan to use that full capacity all the time. I'd say use maybe 400mA max, meaning you could only power 2 of your loads if they do indeed need 200mA each. If they need more, you'll need one charger for each load. That means you can just put 6 chargers in your box, and they'll share AC power instead of sharing DC power to your loads.

gormly

Joined Jan 7, 2012
Very! , until you get a much better idea of what is needed. We need more details.
I figured as much :rolleyes:

As I understand it, you'd like to power up to 6 loads (your e-ciggy butts) simultaneously from your custom box. Is that right?
Yes, charge them.

One charger may not be capable of that. You need to find out the load requirements for each device, eg. it might be something like 200mA at 4.2v. Your charger is rated to 500mA but it would not be wise to plan to use that full capacity all the time. I'd say use maybe 400mA max, meaning you could only power 2 of your loads if they do indeed need 200mA each. If they need more, you'll need one charger for each load. That means you can just put 6 chargers in your box, and they'll share AC power instead of sharing DC power to your loads.

The load takes what it can get, it works equally well on a 2A 1000mAh. (charges faster, the batteries it's going to are regulated with a circuit board)

Ok, but how do I wire them for power to the outside...? That's what I am truly not sure about.
I can always get a higher mA output wall plug

n1ist

Joined Mar 8, 2009
Just use a power strip (like the ones used to handle all of your PC or TV power cords under your desk) inside the box and plug the 6 chargers into it.
/mike