need a toolbox recommendation

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by strantor, Oct 10, 2012.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I need a nifty portable tool box that I can get in and out of the truck and into and out of buildings with ease. I was looking at this tool box, but it seems like crap:

[​IMG]

That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for, and if it wasn't made out of flimsy plastic and tubular aluminum I would buy it. Right now I'm using 3 different tool boxes & tool bags, riding on a laydown dolly, which works, but not ideal. On anything but the smoothest shop floor, it vibrates and everything tries to work its way off the side.

Need big wheels, not tiny casters - I need to roll it over hoses and cables and speed bumps. made out of quality material.

I've been looking and not found anything. I figure something like I want, of the quality that I want, hasn't been made for many years so I was thinking maybe somebody knew the name of an old toolbox I could try to find used.

maxpower097 likes this.
  2. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    If I don't get any good leads here, I'll probably end up making my own.

3. vortmax

Oct 10, 2012
    Just order some 80-20 and some pelican cases and call it a day

4. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
  5. JoeJester

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 26, 2005
  6. Sparky49

Jul 16, 2011
    Put your existing toolboxes inside those ones.

7. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Mee too, post anything cool your find and I'll do the same.

8. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    I would buy some of these:
    http://www.zargescases.com/
    [​IMG]

... and moved them around with one of these:
    [​IMG]
    Air inflated rubber tires. Good for hoses and bumps...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. maxpower097

Feb 20, 2009
    Nice but a lil too much $$ for my game.

10. nerdegutta

Dec 15, 2009
    Yes, it's expensive, but then again - You only buy this once...

11. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
  12. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    Thanks for the suggestions guys. The stainless toolbox set looked like the ticket, but I really would like to lay hands on something before I buy it to get a true feel for its quality. I can only find those online, and I'm not familiar with the manufacturer. The more expensive options are also enticing, but the funds just aren't there. I think I'm going to stick with my mismatched tool boxes that I already have and just move them around on one of these. Maybe I'll paint it some other color so it's not so obviously a garden cart.

13. gerty

AAC Fanatic!

Aug 30, 2007
    That's not a bad looking cart, you probably couldn't build one for what they're asking for it ($99).

14. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    exactly :)

15. Jimmeh30

Mar 4, 2011
    I've found it's cheaper in the end, to buy a welder and fabricate what you need yourself. You can spend a S***Eload on dewalt boxes and many other name brand toolbox "solutions" and to be fair, you can work with all of them.

But, nothing beats the thing you made to do "the job" just the way you wanted it to do it.

Who knows, maybe others will see it and ask where you got it and you become a millionaire and end up "forced" to stop working? ;)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
  16. strantor

Oct 3, 2010
    I went down this road of thought. I actually drew up a quick sketch of what I had in mind, but then when I evaluated and looked up the prices of things, it was cheaper to buy my cart. I needed a set of big pneumatic tire heavy duty casters; cheapest set I could find cost almost as much as my cart. Then I need raw materials, and a sheet metal brake to bend the sheet metal. Figure 10 hours + of labor, and how much is my time worth? If I plug the hourly rate that I charge my customers into that equation, then all said and done I paid a couple thousand for my "custom" tool cart. As it stands, my 100$ china cart does the job better than I asked for. So I figure I made out pretty good.

BTW, Here's the cart in action. (super awesome, I know) Not sure why I took a pic of it, but I did.

[​IMG]

Pretty solid cart, I recommend it. The side panels detach (I don't use them) and its light enough to put in and out of the truck without having back problems.

Wendy likes this.
  17. Wendy

Mar 24, 2008
    You can also get a ramp for the truck.

18. BSomer

Dec 28, 2011
    A few years back I worked with a guy who carried a shopping cart in his work van. I don't know where he got it, but he used it all the time to move his tools and materials on and off the jobsite. I think that your solution is a lot better though.