need a resource for custom built loudspeakers,a very unusual design

secretagentman

Joined Aug 14, 2012
Greetings from secretagentman !

I am new to this forum, and the whole concept. I have read the instructional thread, and will attempt to comply. I am in need of a source of custom built loudspeakers. I am working on a project concerning the attenuation of vacuum tube type guitar amplifiers. I apologize in that I have no scanner at present, so I can't post a schematic(and wouldn't know how if I had one). I am also fairly new to computing in general.
The speaker(s) I have in mind need to fall in the frequency response range of approximately 70hz-4,000hz minimum. They need to be as linear as possible within this range, and for now need to have a power handling capacity of at least 20W.R.M.S. I am interested in speakers that are rated
for Z at 4,8, and 16 Ohms. I haven't had any luck Googling the matter, but I'm no expert at doing this either. I guess I'm rather a "basket case".
Any advice or opinions are very welcome.:)

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
On a more fundamental level attenuation and amplifier don't really seem to go together. There is nothing magic about speaker construction despite what the golden ears would have you believe. It is a paper or metallic membrane attached to a coil inside a magnet.

An amplifier converts DC power to AC power for the purpose of driving a load. The problem is that the load (speakers) do not have constant or even 'linear' characteristics across the audio frequency range. Everything you do to achieve a "superior" listening experience involves compromises. That's the long and short of it.

PS - I sincerely doubt that your design is as unique and innovative as you think it is.

secretagentman

Joined Aug 14, 2012
Greetings Papabravo, anf thanks for your reply. I don't know what you know about vacuum tube type guitar amplifiers. Attenuators of different designs(price range-$49.95--$700.00) are very popular at present, and have been for several years.I also don't know if you play electric guitar
and therefore would understand the fine points of "overdriven" tube tone.
It is considered a necessity by most if not all blues and classic rock performers. For amateurs, the attenuator is theoretically meant to allow
the tube amp to be played with the volume maxed, while actually being able to hear "bed-room levels. The all-tube amp has to be played "flat-out' to acheive the sought after tone. Professionals often use an attenuator to do this, but then re-amp. The attenuated signal(with further processing)
is fed into a solid state amp with considerable more power(even a P.A. system) for use at large venues. Most attenuators range from simple load resistors and L-pads to complicated reactive(impedance) circuits, both passive and active. The "circuit" I am experimenting with is completely different, and a long time spent searching the U.S. Patent Office only made me more confident in this regard. Being a musician and electronics enthusiast for 32 years has left me neither ignorant, nor expert in either fields. I welcome all ideas and opinions, but there are times when I wonder why it's any fun at all when one chooses to post a reply with only negative information. As for myself, I don't reply to a post if Idon't believe I have the requested info, or at least something positive to say. Best Wishes in Your Projects.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
I don't see much in the way of negativity there, but we can let the moderators decide if they want to censure me. I have been designing tube and solid state circuits for half a century, I am a musician, and I have spent a number of years in the high-end audio market. Hobbyists and experimenters dream of stumbling on that elusive combination of components that produces some "magic". These efforts are highly subjective and generally devoid of underlying theory or reproducibility. The "Golden Ears" are notorious for this kind of blather.

There is a principle on this forum, which is that extraordinary claims require extra ordinary evidence. I don't know if this is in the same category as HHO and over unity, but it sounds and feels very close. Of course that is just my opinion. If you really have something, then my opinion won't matter and you'll be rich and famous.

Good luck to you in your project.