Need a recommendation on controller

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by strantor, Jun 28, 2011.

1. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    I have several IR heaters at work. they use (8) 2000W 240V IR bulbs aranged around a cable to heat it up. the bulbs are arranged in 2 banks of 4 bulbs. There are 2 controllers that will regulate the power to each of the 2 bulb banks bulbs 0-100% based off of 2 respective user-set potentiometers. There is no indication if one of these bulbs burns out while it is running. Need to have an indication if the bulbs burn out. I would put a small current transformer around the wire to each bulb, connected to an LED to give an indication, but all of the bulbs are made up in parallel connection in an area of the heater which is too hot for this. I need to put a current transformer around the return of each of the 2 banks and and feed that input, plus input from the 2 pots into a simple controller. the controller will compare the input from the 2 current transformers and if either one falls below its respective pot setpoint, then an alarm will trigger, indicating a blown bulb. So I need 4 analog inputs and one digital output. I would use a μcontroller, but this needs to be industrial rated. Also, would be nice if I didn't have to buy 3000$ worth of software to program it. money isn't really an issue, but the more inexpensive the better.
    looking for a recommendation on the controller & current transducers. here's what I got so far...
    for the controller:
    http://www.newark.com/siemens/61-052-1cc00-0ba6/logo-24-8de-4ae-4da-200-blocks/dp/12P8228

only problem is it's siemens, so I assume I will need to buy programming software, yet to confirm this.

for the transducers:
    http://www.newark.com/triad-magnetics/cst-1010/current-sense-transformer/dp/89M4937

the highest load it lists in the volts/amps @ given load is 5kΩ, so I assume it will be alot higher against a high impedance PLC analog input.

also, if anyone has a simpler alternative than the one I have proposed, please say so,.

2. strantor

Thread Starter AAC Fanatic!

Oct 3, 2010
    Allen Bradley 1760-L18BWB-EX
    but again i would need to buy a special cable and software.