Need a push button - Don't know the proper type

Discussion in 'The Projects Forum' started by Scott MacDonald, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Scott MacDonald

Thread Starter New Member

Jun 14, 2015
    Hi all! First post, so take it easy on me!

I bought a metal detector pinpointer from Harbor Freight (which I knew was going to be a bit dicey) and on the first day out of the gate the button started to fail, so I want to replace it with a better button. ( I can't just return it because I've had it for a while, just not used it.)

The button is a square, non-toggling one, and by that I mean it doesn't click and stay on, then click and stay off. You need to hold it in to keep it on.

I opened the pinpointer up and checked the wires that the button are connected to, and they seem to be on there fine, and the button is encapsulated, so I can't dig into it any further.

I'd like to buy a new button online, but I don't know what to call the darn thing when I'm looking it up. I went on one electronics retailer and they had over 9k buttons alone!

Here is a link to the pinpointer on their website and the button should be pretty clear in the picture. http://www.harborfreight.com/metal-detector-97245.html

Any help on what kind of button I should look for would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

S

2. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    sounds like a common ' momentary' type.
    you need a momentary switch that is closed when pressed.

3. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
    If it doesn't work take it back to Harbor Freight for an exchange.

Ken

4. djsfantasi

AAC Fanatic!

Apr 11, 2010
    Google it. "Momentary switch square". Here's an example:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/B3AL-1000P/SW1216DKR-ND/2698555

You can get more specific results, the more info you supply. The voltage rating, the size, the contacts (SPST/SPDT? how many wires are going into the switch), mounting type, etc...

Digikey and Mouser have good search engines.

5. Scott MacDonald

Jun 14, 2015
    Thanks a lot everyone! The switch only has 2 wires going into it, soldered on a pretty simple connector I think. The kind with the tab with a hole in it. Now to buy me a switch and some helping hands! Should Digikey and Mouser be fine shipping to Canada?

6. Scott MacDonald

Jun 14, 2015
    I suppose I should measure the foolish thing as well, eh? KMoffett, normally I'd bring it back for sure, but the nearest HF is about 6 hours away, and the pinpointer was only $9, so I'm going to try to fix it. I bought it last fall and just stored it for the winter.

7. Kermit2

AAC Fanatic!

Feb 5, 2010
    element14 ??? google that one. one of the big names will have a canadian presence so you can avoid a possible tariff or tax.

8. MaxHeadRoom

Expert

Jul 18, 2013
    My preference is Digikey, they ship for a flat rate of CAN$8.00 to Canada, no duty or brokerage, just PST/HST.
    It is on my doorstep by 12:00 next day air.
    Over $200.00 no postage.
    Max.

9. MrChips

Oct 2, 2009
    If you live in Ontario you can visit a Sayal store and select the pushbutton off the rack. There are seven stores across Ontario.

10. Scott MacDonald

Jun 14, 2015
    I'm in NB and the only place I could think of is Radio Shack 20 years ago, heh.