Near Wit's End

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
@DickCappels, @jrap, and @ScottWang have been quite busy deleting my posts lately, and always for arbitrary reasons (i.e. not forum rules violations).

I've had more posts deleted in the past 2 weeks than have been deleted in my entire time here prior.

This is notice to the mods: one more arbitrarily deleted post, and I'm outta here.

SgtWookie

Joined Jul 17, 2007
I really haven't been on the forums much lately, so I have no idea why the deletions might be occurring. Keep in mind that the forum software just went through a big change, so some of it might be simply forum glitches. Another might be that the new orange format would be more likely to invoke hostilities than the old cool blue format - so extra efforts must be made to keep the fuses long and tempers calm.

Please don't take this as criticism - it's really more in the "sweeping generality" category.

There is a complete absence of visual cues aka "body language" available when reading a post, so it becomes much more difficult to discern someone's subtle intent. The posts in question might have simply been interpreted incorrectly - or perhaps perceived as borderline hostile, demeaning, as an ad-hominem attack or something else entirely.

I can only suggest that it may help a good deal if you try to make your posts more helpful and/or more "friendly sounding". You never know what other people are going through; they may be having a heck of a rough time. Going out of your way to be nice/helpful just might make a big difference towards improving more than one person's attitude.

I certainly hope that whatever differences may exist can be resolved. I've noticed a number of "testy" responses as of late, making keeping a cool head a priority.

Everyone, play nice - and have a good time!

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I really haven't been on the forums much lately, so I have no idea why the deletions might be occurring. Keep in mind that the forum software just went through a big change, so some of it might be simply forum glitches. Another might be that the new orange format would be more likely to invoke hostilities than the old cool blue format - so extra efforts must be made to keep the fuses long and tempers calm.

Please don't take this as criticism - it's really more in the "sweeping generality" category.

There is a complete absence of visual cues aka "body language" available when reading a post, so it becomes much more difficult to discern someone's subtle intent. The posts in question might have simply been interpreted incorrectly - or perhaps perceived as borderline hostile, demeaning, as an ad-hominem attack or something else entirely.

I can only suggest that it may help a good deal if you try to make your posts more helpful and/or more "friendly sounding". You never know what other people are going through; they may be having a heck of a rough time. Going out of your way to be nice/helpful just might make a big difference towards improving more than one person's attitude.

I certainly hope that whatever differences may exist can be resolved. I've noticed a number of "testy" responses as of late, making keeping a cool head a priority.

Everyone, play nice - and have a good time!
Thanks, @SgtWookie, for a carefully considered and well thought-out post.

The posts in question have been deleted for actual, but arbitrary reasons. In other words, there was no rule referenced for the deletion of the posts -- just an opinion from the particular moderator that the post was somehow inappropriate and therefore disallowed.

This is akin to tyranny. Now, I don't disagree that @jrap and Co. may act as tyrants on their own property, but I don't have to participate either.

I've been here since 2011. I've got a 50% like-to-post ratio. I am who I am, and I have not changed my writing style or what I write about or what words I use.

The mods (or the edicts that govern them) have changed.

Papabravo

Joined Feb 24, 2006
Part of everyone playing nice is to recognize the serious issues surrounding the recent changes to AAC. We are stakeholders despite the fact that "he who has the gold makes the rules". The new owners took what many people interpreted as a less than forthright, and possibly deceptive, approach to various issues surrounding their plans for the information content of AAC. The initial backlash has triggered an immune response of total silence, disengagement, and apparent arbitrary behavior on the part of the moderating team. Things are changing, perhaps for the better, but it is hard to know a priori how things will turn out.

justtrying

Joined Mar 9, 2011
If something is removed without explanation, no learning can happen and resentment towards moderator can develop.

If threads are closed or posts removed:

1. warning should be issued
2. explanation goven to what rule is broken
3. opportunity given to edit the offending post

otherwise it is just like "disappearing" noone knows what happened and why, so how are participants to avoid it on the future?

ScottWang

Joined Aug 23, 2012
I don't know what's happening, but I didn't do that and I also feel very strange, the first is that I haven't check the thread "The pets of AAC" a several days, the second is that the message numbers is 2907, the 2907 was I reply to what you said that I deleted your posted message, it means that before I reply the message that the system send a message said that I deleted your posts, and how come a number to do two things?

Normally I don't delete the messages, unless the spam or the contents of reply is empty and I don't remember I had delete any post about you, I went back to check all the contents of "The pets of AAC", but I didn't find any messages I deleted, it's really weird, this make me think about hacked, the system had been hacked or my computer been hacked.

Maybe you could go back to check does any post been deleted?

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
I don't know what's happening, but I didn't do that and I also feel very strange, the first is that I haven't check the thread "The pets of AAC" a several days, the second is that the message numbers is 2907, the 2907 was I reply to what you said that I deleted your posted message, it means that before I reply the message that the system send a message said that I deleted your posts, and how come a number to do two things?

Normally I don't delete the messages, unless the spam or the contents of reply is empty and I don't remember I had delete any post about you, I went back to check all the contents of "The pets of AAC", but I didn't find any messages I deleted, it's really weird, this make me think about hacked, the system had been hacked or my computer been hacked.

Maybe you could go back to check does any post been deleted?
This occurred simultaneously to this conversation:

Deleted Post 2.jpg

I assumed you and @DickCappels were piling on.

I should point out that Dick finally agreed that he should not have deleted the post, and reinstated it, *but* he made edits to it without my knowledge or permission that changed the "spirit" of my post.

joeyd999

Joined Jun 6, 2011
joeyd999, I realize things are happening that probably shouldn't be, but I must say--Threatening to leave the forum unless the mods lay off is rather childish....
It's not a threat. I actually spend time composing what I write so as to get across a desired point across in a way that I want. When my posts are then deleted, arbitrarily, I feel like I have wasted my time.

I don't like to waste time. So, if this continues, I will cease my contributions -- as questionable as they may be -- here.