Nc/no contacts

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by jerrymyersmills, Apr 25, 2011.

1. jerrymyersmills

Thread Starter New Member

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi
    folks, i have bought an optico isolated relay board for a project.The relay board is going to wired to thermostat.I done majority of the work.What is left now is how to wire the alarm to the relayboard.I want the alarm to sound when tempereture rises too high or goes too low and when there is power outage.
    The problem is the alarm uses 12VDC (it runs on car battery)whilst the output of relay board (fitted with general purpose relay)is 240VAC.I am the 240VAC will damage the alarm .I have seen this type of thing work somewhere else some years back.I heard it is called 'battery backed control circuit'.
    I do not know how to wire the alarm leads to relay board and whether to use 'NC' or 'NO' contacts.
    Any questions welcome!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  2. beenthere

Retired Moderator

Apr 20, 2004
    Is there some reason why you can't put 12 VDC in place of the 240 VAC? I doubt if the relay cares what voltage is on the contacts.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  3. Adjuster

Dec 26, 2010
    If you are trying to use a solid-state relay designed for AC switching in a DC circuit, then it probably will not work. Typically these things use SCR or TRIAC switch elements, and these do not turn off with DC.

That said, it's not really clear what you are trying to do. Can you please post a schematic?

4. bertus

Administrator

Apr 5, 2008
    Hello,

As said before, are the relays solid state or mechanical?
    If they are mechanical, AC or DC should be no problem.

About the NC and NO connections, see the picture I made:

[​IMG]

Bertus

5. jerrymyersmills

Mar 22, 2011
    Hi the relay board is equipped with general purpose relays not solid state relays.
    Now half of my problem is solved.The only problem left now is that i want to back up the system with a 12VDC car battery so that in case of power failure the siren will sound .
    Thanks for all your inputs.

6. jerrymyersmills

Mar 22, 2011
    Bertus you are right!AC/DC must not be a problem.How do i back the system with car battery?

7. jerrymyersmills

Mar 22, 2011
    My timeZONE is GMT