Discussion in 'General Science' started by boks, Sep 29, 2009.

1. boks

Thread Starter Active Member

Oct 10, 2008
  2. jpanhalt

AAC Fanatic!

Jan 18, 2008
    Not sure how you define "di-ionic." If you mean it is charge neutral, i.e., the Na+ and SO3- balance each other, then can you give an example where that is not the case? In other words, it becomes a silly question, as distractors (a) and (b) are impossible. I don't think that is the case, though.

My guess, based on the other options present and the above observation, is that as a surfactant, it would be classified as answer (b), anionic.

The structure shown is wrong, as succinic acid is a 4-carbon dicarboxylic acid. Malonic acid has only 3 carbons. If it is intended as malonic acid, then the name is wrong and that central carbon is very acidic. I would certainly confirm that structure before committing to anything.

If on the other hand, the author of that link simply forgot the other CH2, s/he deserves chiding. The correct answer then becomes none, because the root question has a fatal flaw. The best of the given choices is still (b), based on the name.

Edit: Wikipedia calls it an anionic detergent, which confirms my guess on the naming convention. A di-ionic surfactant would be something with two ionic groups on the main, active portion. I am not sure whether the ionic groups need to be that same, like a di-or more likely bis-quaternary surfactant, or whether they can be of opposite charge, as in a zwitterion.
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2009