Mystery Object! (Could I get some help on what this is used for?)

Discussion in 'General Electronics Chat' started by LittleMac, May 30, 2013.

1. LittleMac

Thread Starter New Member

May 30, 2013
    Hello everyone,
    I work for the Goodwill in Missoula posting interesting items to our auction site. Usually it isn't so difficult identifying these items, but I need help with this one. "Cole - Hersee - Boston" is engraved on the metal flaps over the end of what appears to be a light socket? It has a wooden handle and the other end of the cord is a threaded plug I've never seen before. I'd appreciate any help I can get as the company didn't respond to our email requests for info. If clearer photos are needed I'd be more than happy to provide them. Thanks all!

2. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    I believe it is an old trouble light. The plug is of a style that I've seen in old equipment for lamps. My guess is that the socket in the sphere is likely the same style. You hang it from the metal hook on the end and use the flaps to adjust the amount of light that is illuminating the work area.

Except possibly as an antique, it has no value.

That's assuming, of course, that I am correct in my identification.

3. shortbus

AAC Fanatic!

Sep 30, 2009
    I agree with the trouble light idea. But I think it is for automobile use. The plug end looks like it would fit into a tail light bulb (1156) socket. For changing a tire on a dark road?

4. KMoffett

AAC Fanatic!

Dec 19, 2007
  5. LittleMac

Thread Starter New Member

May 30, 2013
    Thank you all! That's a huge help!

6. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
    Automobile use was my thought as well. And you're right, it does look like it would fit in some of the tail light sockets, at least on older (<2000) cars. Don't know about late-model cars.

7. WBahn

Mar 31, 2012
  8. GopherT

AAC Fanatic!

Nov 23, 2012
    That's the winning answer! I'll get a photo at the next hot rod night. The OPs is in excellent condition. The Shields protect the bulb when not in use.